What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonding to lead

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Bonding to lead counterweights

Hello all,

While shaping the counterweight for my right elevator, I uncovered a void in it that was a result of the casting process. This is the new-style counterweight that fits between the front of the tip ribs and elevator skin, and it's already been match-drilled to the ribs and skin so replacing it would be a pain.

Here are a couple of questions -

Has anyone balanced their right elevator? If so, how much lead did you remove to get the balance right?

Is there a good epoxy or other glue that will bond to lead? I don't have the means to melt lead, so I'm considering just mixing some lead shot or shavings with epoxy if filling the void is necessary.

Thanks....

Dave

Last edited:
Hahaha, I liked it the way it was before the edit!

:D

I say we take a two by, rout it out with my router to shape, line it with tin foil and have a go at it with some ladles and torches!

I bet it will come out GREAT!

;) CJ

I epoxied the edge of my tip to the lead and blended with Superfil. It turned out great after painting and hasn't cracked in almost a year of flying. After trimming the right weight, per plan, I still needed to remove a small amount of lead after it was painted. It amounted to about two or three small holes drilled to about 1/4". Do not trim the left weight. The trim tab is heavy and will compensate for the full thickness.

Last edited:
Back