What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SEATS / Interior upgrade

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi Guys / Gals
I will be updating the interior of my RV-4 in a near future and I've been looking at the Oregon Aero and the Cleveland Tools ( DJ Lauritsen ) seats for the RV-4 and would like to get some feedbacks on them.

Things like their overall confort, thinkness of the cushions ...Price vs quality..etc.....
I will be using leather and sheep skin for the bottom seat and the middle of the backrest and 100% leather for the rest..
If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to other ideas.

Thank you

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

Last edited:
Seats

Love my Oregon Aero seats. I took them to a local auto upholstery shop who fortunately had some fire rated hides left over from a Citation refurb job they got involved in (not that unusual in Wichita). They look great and now I have all-day comfort rather than numbbutt after an hour. Well worth the price IMHO.

Seats

I've compared Oregon Aero, Classic Aero, Cleaveland (DJ), and Flightline Interiors. They all have great workmanship and material choices.

I prefer the Oregon Aero foam, but have ridden on some long flights using standard Cleaveland seat cushions and they were fine. Really a personal preference issue.

I bought Oregon Aero foam as part of an EAA group buy. Oregon Aero sent me just the foam and suggested I try them for a couple of weeks to see if any changes were needed in lumbar support, thickness, etc. No changes were needed in my opinion, but they prefer to make sure you're happy with the foam prior to working on upholstery.

I swapped them with the Cleaveland cushions in a friend's RV8. The Oregon Aero's appear to be about 1" thicker than his Cleaveland's.

I later contacted DJ at Cleaveland to have them covered. However, she informed me that she doesn't have patterns for Oregon Aero cushions and suggested I check elsewhere due to her already long production lead times.

I dropped off my cushions with Abby at Flightline Interiors on my way to Oshkosh and they should be ready sometime this month. Her team was working on a couple of RV interiors when I visited her shop and the workmanship was outstanding.

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong with any of these firms. They all can customize the foam (different densities, extra booster cushions, etc.) and do quality work. Keep in mind that they also have production lead times.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
I had Abby at Flightline do a new interior for my -8 using memory foam and leather upholstery. I could not be happier. The seats are extremely comfortable, look fantastic, and Abby was outstanding to work with. Now if I'm on a long cross country I am only limited by remaining fuel in the aircraft and my bladder. The seats are so comfortable I now wish I had added tip tanks for extended range. The longest trip I have made so far without stopping is well over 3 hours and my back and back end felt great when I got out of the plane.

RV-4 INTERIORS

Hello everyone
Thanks a lot for all the infos provided, it help a lot in making a decision.
Keep on posting your experiences with different products,it's really appreciated.

Thank you

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

Rv Interior

Just a quick update in my RV-4 interior's quest..

I just received a reply from Abby at Flightline following a request I made to see if I could buy only the foam pattern ( I already have all the upholstery material required ) for an RV-4 and Abby told me that they don't sell only the foam,.. for those who were thinking about doing the same thing..

Also for the ones among you guys with Oregon Aero seats, do your seats go all the way to the floor ...by this I mean, do they need some sort of other foam or aluminium ramp ( like Cleveland Tools used ) to go over the spar or are they already formed with an extra 3 or 4 inches required to fill the gap from the top of the spar to the floor of the aircraft??

Thanks in adavance for your help and advise..

Bruno
[email protected]

Just a quick update in my RV-4 interior's quest..

I just received a reply from Abby at Flightline following a request I made to see if I could buy only the foam pattern ( I already have all the upholstery material required ) for an RV-4 and Abby told me that they don't sell only the foam,.. for those who were thinking about doing the same thing..

Sir,
Call Jena at 580-471-7863. She is great and knows what she is doing. She is located in Oklahoma and is doing my RV-4 interior. I am sending her a trace of my body and my wife's body (sitting down) and she is making the foam seats to fit us. I am sure she can work something out with you. You can mention my name if you want.

Rv-4 interior

Hi Ax-O
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how I can come up with a trace of me( How come I've got a picture of the well known Orson Welle's profile in my mind when I think about that..;-)... but that is something to consider

Is Jena the owner of a specific compagny or is she working on her own?

Thanks again

Bruno
[email protected]

Hi Ax-O
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how I can come up with a trace of me... but that is something to consider

Is Jena the owner of a specific compagny or is she working on her own?

Bruno
[email protected]

Sir, I was also trying to figure out how to do my seats. My wife came up with the idea of tracing our bodies on the back of Xmas paper. She sat down and I traced her body and she traced mine. I then used the trace and did a 3-view engineering drawing. Jena is using the drawings to make the cushions. The drawing below are kind of embarrassing but oh well?.

Jena, just started her own company. She was working for someone else.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

RV INTERIOR

Hi Axel
Thanks for the info..

That's one more option if I'm unable to find what I'm looking for..

So far I'm bending toward Oregon Aero seat for the front $$ and maybe a Cleveland for the back...I rarely have anyone sitting in the back so I figure why spend $500.. on foam that will be use only on rare occasion..

Thanks again

Bruno

Hi Axel
Thanks for the info..

That's one more option if I'm unable to find what I'm looking for..

Bruno

You would be surprised at what she charges for a custom seat. Very fair prices compared to others.

Back