What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet Glo versus Express

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
My local S-W paint distributor only stocks and mostly only sells Jet Glo Express, not Jet Glo. Anyone out there seen or worked with both side-by-side? I was planning on using Jet Glo because I thought it was a better product than Express, which seems designed for high-throughput paint shops, but open to changing to Express.

Thanks,
Dwight

I went to the S-W Aerospace Coatings class in Andover, KS a couple of months ago in anticipation of painting my airplane. I have no painting experience. All equipment is furnished for the training. I took my own sprayer and used it to spray the Jet Glo, Jet Glo Express and Acro Glo. I found the Acro Glo easiest to work with (no runs, nice glossy finish, very limited orange peel). My next choice would be Jet Glo Express. The S-W technical service reps were very informative and helpful. Of course, they are selling the S-W products. There is a tour of the paint plant and about 1 1/2 days in the paint shop--priming, painting and repairing paint dings. The two day class was well worth going to for me. Most of the participants were from professional paint shops and I received a lot of free advice.

S-W Aerospace Coatings information is online at their website.

Dan

Acro Glo is basically Jet Glo for slower aircraft (read below 250kts). It is also less expensive than Jet Glo. I've been very happy with how well it has held up for five years plus it still shines like it did when new. Now if I could just keep the bugs from throwing themselves at it.:D

Chris

Good info

Thanks guys.

Chris- I think I heard that much of the cost difference was because you are buying 3/4 gal vs full gallons?

Dan- Possible to share any of that sage wisdom without too much effort on your part? I too have limited spraying experience (did all my primer and interior paint, but that's different). I considered going to the class too, but time and money...

Thanks,
Dwight

Acro Glo is basically Jet Glo for slower aircraft (read below 250kts). It is also less expensive than Jet Glo. I've been very happy with how well it has held up for five years plus it still shines like it did when new. Now if I could just keep the bugs from throwing themselves at it.:D

Chris
That's not true. Acry Glo is trim color paint basicly but it can also be used for an entire airplane. Acry Glo is a different chemistry, acrylic urethane vs. poly urethane. Many biz jets are out there flying Acry Glo on their stripes. As far as cost goes, yes it is a little cheaper but you also get less paint. Gallon for gallon you will get more for your dollar with Jet Glo when doing large areas.

:)

Changing my plan?

I had planned to shoot Stewart Systems, and do it myself. I have very limited experience, almost all automotive bc/cc systems, and all good; I can follow directions well, and have good equipment.

I keep thinking about market share as an indication of 'goodness'. So many shops - most, from my google 'survey' - shoot the S-W ***-Flex.

I very much prefer the water cleanup of the Stewart, but I'm going to do this once.

I'm stuck, it may be time to flip a coin.

Rick 90432

I went to the S-W Aerospace Coatings class in Andover, KS SNIP...

Dan

Dan,
Went looking on the S-W site but could not find the information on the paint classes. Could you direct me to the link for that information?
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
I can help out. After hearing about it from Dan, I contacted sherwin williams and am now signed up for the september 14-15 class.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/aerospace/pdf/news/2010/2010-sw_trainprogapp_02a_web.pdf

Their telephone # is 316-733-7576
Follow the above link and it should get you there. It's in Andover, KS, about 30 minutes east of Wichita. I'm a novice as far as painting goes. I told them that and they still said "come on down".

I spoke to a couple of paint shops and they felt the experience would be valuable whether I painted my plane or not.

By the way, the two day class is only $150 and all equipment provided.

So..... off to the land of Dorothy and the flying monkeys.

Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL
RV-10 finishing

Last edited:
Back