What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator tips closeout

Bob_pipedream

Hi all,

Am planning to make my elevator tip closeouts now. the bits where the elvator tips have the huge opening that needs blocking...

Was thinking of using expanding foam (in the can). Then when cured, cutting it back to give a recess of about 3-5mm and then using epoxy filler to make the smooth surface.

How does that sound? My thought is that epoxy is compatible with expanding foam and will not melt it?

All good fun these final stages...

I have seen that stuff destroy things with it's expansion pressure. It takes about two seconds to cut a piece of foam to stick in there. I usually spray the foam with paint so it doesn't eat the foam or use foil backed foam.

You can use many things; balsa wood sheet, discarded fiberglass trimmings (such as skirts), eurothane foam. I have used all 3. I have experimented with the Home Depot expanding foam for forms and then threw it on the reject pile. To many voids, does not shape well. The best foam is the 4lb 2 part expanding eurothane foam. You can buy foam blocks at hobby shops here for sticking artificial flowers in that works well, cheap and easy to shape and sand.

I'm a R/C balsa basher anyway . . .

I went with 2 layers 0f 3/32" balsa at 45 deg bias, then skinned with 0.75 oz cloth, cut to size, glassed them in, then 2 layers of 4oz crowfoot in and out.

It's not as time consuming as it sounds. But now that I read it, I must have been having one of my over engineering moments. It's really light and tough though, and looks good.

I don't like working with foam, personal preference.

Rick 90432

Back