What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple dies for pop riveting tool, Spring back?

I have got 3/32 dimple dies to used with a pop riveting tool from US Industrial Tool and Supply, and I do not get dimples deep enough, ... and I do press the dies together "as ugly as I am".

3/32 Rivets mate perfectly in the female die and there is no play when I mate the male die over the female one. From those observation I guess these dies are not "spring back", like the other ones I got to go with the C-frame/hand squeezer.

What are your observations with dies for pop riveting tool from other suppliers, Cleaveland, ATS, ... ? are they of the "spring back" type? do you get rivet heads flush with the skin or protruding rivets?

Thanks for your comment.

Guy Deraspe

guy_deraspe said:
What are your observations with dies for pop riveting tool from other suppliers, Cleaveland, ATS, ... ? are they of the "spring back" type? do you get rivet heads flush with the skin or protruding rivets?

Guy Deraspe

Guy:

I use pop dies from ATS and the dimples are PERFECT. Better than my c-frame or vise grips dimplers, just a bit slower. I paid $4.95 last year. Only problem is that I can't find spare nails that fit. Others say they can find them though. Be carefull so you don't "pop" the nail. When it starts to stick it's because the tool is cutting groves in the nail. Take a small file to the groves and keep on popp'in.

Jekyll

Back