What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flo-scan in cabin

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I've read a couple of threads in the archive about Flo Scan location and a lot of them seem to be forward of the firewall. I want to put it in the cabin and I'm trying to see if it's OK, just to insert it in the fuel line run between the Airflow HP fuel boost pump and the firewall fitting for the fuel line (keep about 5 " of straight line after the Flo-Scan.

I now it's a cast piece with screw holes for mounting. But given that the lines are rigid and, in my case, sandwiched between to layers of soundproofing, couldn't I just lay it in there, maybe cut a little hole in the center cover for the connection and the fit and call it a day?

Mine has been installed in the cabin for over 17 years between the selector valve and the boost pump. No problem whatsoever.

We've done that on many rv's over the years with no problems (both floscan and EI) so you shouldn't have a problem either!

Cheers,
Stein

Perfect

I've read a couple of threads in the archive about Flo Scan location and a lot of them seem to be forward of the firewall. I want to put it in the cabin and I'm trying to see if it's OK, just to insert it in the fuel line run between the Airflow HP fuel boost pump and the firewall fitting for the fuel line (keep about 5 " of straight line after the Flo-Scan.

I now it's a cast piece with screw holes for mounting. But given that the lines are rigid and, in my case, sandwiched between to layers of soundproofing, couldn't I just lay it in there, maybe cut a little hole in the center cover for the connection and the fit and call it a day?

Exactly what I did.

Hans

We've done that on many rv's over the years with no problems (both floscan and EI) so you shouldn't have a problem either!

Cheers,
Stein

Is there room for the red cube under the center cover of a -7? I have the Vans FI boost pump if it makes a difference. Nope, I don't have one yet or I'd have tried fitting it.

Bob:

My -7 is set up exactly as you are planning. Feel free to come over (or can send you some pix) and take a look. This configuration worked fine in my -4 also however there is an slightly high fuel flow reading when the pump is on.

Doug

I want to put it in the cabin and I'm trying to see if it's OK, just to insert it in the fuel line run between the Airflow HP fuel boost pump and the firewall fitting for the fuel line (keep about 5 " of straight line after the Flo-Scan.

Bob,
As another data point, the installation you describe is exactly how the RV-10 plans call for the fuel flow transducer to be mounted. That's how I plan to mount mine as well.

FlowScan's documentation calls for it after the mechanical pump for fuel injected engines; that's not working for us, we're seeing 9.xx gal/hour at idle! We're tracking down issues with the G900, so our error could be there but I think we'll relocation the FlowScan in the tunnel.

Bob:

My -7 is set up exactly as you are planning. Feel free to come over (or can send you some pix) and take a look. This configuration worked fine in my -4 also however there is an slightly high fuel flow reading when the pump is on.
Doug

Thanks, Doug. I installed mine today The only true PITN was trimming away the center cover. It has limited mobility because I've already installed the throttle and mixture cable.

another one

mounted in the main fuel line between the boost pump and firewall. The only difference is that I match drilled the belly skin using the holes in the transducer as guides and dimpled the holes. I put countersunk screws with the heads down, up through the belly, through the transducer and put nuts on top to secure it. Probably WAY overkill but it looked to me like it wanted to be securely fastened to something.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 52 hours and chasing high-ish oil temps:)

Back