What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Military Competency to Flight Instructor Pirep

larrynew

Well Known Member
I previously posted about changes to the Military Competency to flight instructor for those with Military flight instructor experience. You can now get your civilian instructor ratings with NO lookback time limit. Just an easy test and a records review.

Flight+Instructor.jpg

This is a pirep for those in the San Antonio FSDO area. After taking the test, I contacted the designated examiner recommended by Sheppard Air: http://www.sheppardair.com/milcompcfi.htm. No reply to voicemails or email. I contacted the FSDO office and was given another name. No response. After going to the San Antonio FSDO website and to the designated examiners page: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/sat/local_more/media/dpe.pdf, I called Dennis Bazemore in Corpus Christi. Highly recommended. Always answered his phone. Records review was fast. Said he was happy to help those that served. His phone is on the link above.

Last edited:
I'd recommend Charlie McDougal in San Antonio. He's has done two of my military friends. His number is: (210) 861-7355.

Best regards,

Brad

Without wading into the regs just yet..what exactly do you mean by "no look back time limit"?

I was a civilian CFI many years ago but let it expire once I went into the AF. But I had pretty extensive multiengine instructor experience (both centerline and otherwise) in the service.

And could you tell me a little more about the test?

John,
no look back time means basically no expiration since your mil instructing days. Whether it's been 2 months or two years, doesn't matter. As for the test, every possible question is on the sheppard air gouge list. I'm a rock and I managed to score a 100% last saturday after studying the Q's for a couple of hrs and taking the practice tests. Go to the website for more info.

No Look Back

John,

There used to be a time limit of "within the past 12 months" for using your military flight instructor experience to get your civilian flight instructor ratings. This past October, the FAA changed the rules to remove any "look back" time limit restriction. I last instructed in the military over 20 years ago.

The test is 120 questions. Typical FAA test format. The Sheppard Air folks have a really good computer based test prep program ($50) that has you studying for just a couple of days before the test. The prep is only to get you to pass the test. Don't expect to learn anything you can apply as an instructor. It only took 10 minutes to take the test as the answers seemed to jump out at me before I even finished the question. I don't have any relation with Sheppard Air other than just a satisfied customer.

I then met with a designated examiner that was (M/C) Military Competency qualified. Quick records review to show that I was a military instructor and done. Again, the Sheppard Air website (see the link in the first post) answered all my questions. Hope that helps.

Thanks Larry!!!!

Larry,

Thanks a million for posting this. I have had a civilian CFII for 30 years and first became a military instructor in 1985 at Mother Rucker. For those of you that have a fixed wing CFII and want to add a Rotary Wing CFII based on your military experience it will not require the written test. I took all my Army and Coast Guard flight documents and log books to the FSDO and was out of there in 25 minutes with a new certificate. Fill out the 8710 as outlined in the link and you should have no problems.
I also agree with the comments that if you are qualified to do so do it now before the feds change their minds. Thanks to Larry for bringing this to our attention, I would like to buy you an adult beverage at Oshkosh this year, take care and blue skies. :):):):):)

Without wading into the regs just yet..what exactly do you mean by "no look back time limit"?

I was a civilian CFI many years ago but let it expire once I went into the AF. But I had pretty extensive multiengine instructor experience (both centerline and otherwise) in the service.

And could you tell me a little more about the test?

Fuggedaboutit. I too was a CFII/MEI before joining the military. I've talked to three FSDO's (MCO, RNO, SFO) and all gave me the same answer. It's for initial issuance only. You can't reinstate. Stupid to me, but I think it's just the way it was written by the lawyers. Maybe someday someone can engage AOPA to include Military guys that already had CFI's, but for now your only options are to 1.) take a practical again or 2.) add on another CFI rating (glider, helo, blimp, whatever) and that will reinstate all your tickets.

To keep my CFI current, I do the on-line course every two years. American Flyers has a pay once in a life-time deal where as Gleim is pay every time.

As a PIREP, I was a CFI-Airplane and Glider before taking my military IP info to the Wichita FSDO, now I am a CFI-Airplane, Glider, Instrument, and Multi-engine. Good deal for sure.

-Jim
40603, on-hold for a move :-(

Back