What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Krylon paint question

mandm1516

Well Known Member
I painted the interior of my -8 with rattle can krylon paint over duplicolor self etching primer. Reason I went with krylon is because it was easy to use, krylon had the color I wanted (vs. rustoleum) and I thought if I scratched it I could easily touch it up.

Overall I'm very happy with the results, but the last part doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried to touch a few spots up and it makes things much worse. The new paint acts like MEK--it bubbles up the existing paint to where you can just wipe it off. This is well after the cure time--I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if so, what was the solution?

How do you touch up your rattle can paint?

That has happened to me with Napa and duplicolor primer. Can?t figure it out. I have followed the instructions on the paint can to the letter. Would also like to know what is going on. My fix has been to sand the area and apply a coat of paint all at the same time.

Same Paint?

Sounds like what happens when you spray lacquer over enamel. (Or is the other way 'round? I can never remember.) :rolleyes:

(Some Krylon is lacquer, other Krylon is enamel.)

Last edited:
When it happens to me, the first few coats are fine (no reaction). But if it goes past about a half hour (and I apply another coat) the same paint-can bubbles up the previous paint.

Some enamel paints need to cure days/weeks before they can be recoated. Somewhere on the can should be some instruction along the lines of "recoat within one hour or after one week..." That point inbetween, the solvent in the spray can re-dilute the first coat and lift it up.
When it happens to me, the first few coats are fine (no reaction). But if it goes past about a half hour (and I apply another coat) the same paint-can bubbles up the previous paint.

The recoat time is something like (don't have the can in front of me) within 1 hour or after 72 hours. I've followed the guidelines but it always does the same thing--acts as a great paint remover. When painting my interior I did the right side and bottom in 1 shot, then came back a week later to finish the left side. Everywhere it overlapped bubbled which creates a chain reaction because now I have to strip that off, MEK bleeds into unaffected areas, got to strip more, etc.

Like I said, I'm happy with the results but there are a few areas that will be hidden (i.e. fore side of the gear towers) that don't look good.

So far when touching up a minor blemish the only thing that works is to strip the whole panel--big pain.

It's not a matter of different types of paint because it's the same can/color. Wish I could figure it out because I have a few spots that need to be touched up.

Last edited by a moderator:
paint fun

Mike,
a few thoughts. I've used quite a lot of Krylon, love it!.... and not experienced your problem...but!!!

As others have noted, it's funny stuff. It's like a lacquer ( the MEK component ) that makes it stick great, and dry fast.
But it is modified to 'skin' with a glossy enamel-like surface.
When you try to recoat, with a full wet aplication, hoping it will 'melt' in, or blend, the solvent is soaking in and bubbling the basecoat before it can flash off.
the only way I see to 'blend' a touchup is to dust on light coats, with good airflow and heat to force out the solvents between coats.
This will, sadly, not result in 'gloss'.
.........Same issue could be attacking the primer.

If you can mask a hard line to stop at, then protect the old paint and continue later, that's one way to tackle it.

.....another angle; to touchup scratches, get a small artist brush, and spray a small shot of Krylon into a cup, and touchup with the brush....may look better that a big dull spot with overspray etc.

final thought.
I have a light colour interior, and often see a lot of reflections in the canopy when looking into a turn, or taking photos, etc.
I now wish the entire interior was a nice flat, charcoal grey or black. could look really nice with the right accent colours and upholstery.
touchups....easy.... forever...but admittedly not very durable.

no free lunch here I guess!

best of luck!

Hey Perry, Thanks for your reply, I'll try your suggestions and see how they turn out. As for color, mine's high gloss Ivy Leaf (bright primer green look), will tone down with black seat backs, seats, etc.

Back