What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interpreting Dynon EMS Data

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
With 66 hours on the hobbs, I did my first download of the Dynon EMS D-10 this afternoon. WOW! There's a LOT of data stored in that little EMS!:eek:

After plugging the flash drive into my computer at home, the file opened up just fine in Excel. Columns across the top have titles such as GPS Data Valid, EMS Fuel Flow, EMS EGT1, etc...

The rows seem to be separated by about 5 second intervals - so the EMS is grabbing a snapshot of the entire engine, including GPS data such as airspeed, altitude, and location(lat/long). It also grabs the date/time from the GPS, but separates it into "day", "month", "year", "hour", "minute", "second" columns. Since the time is in six different columns, it's impossible to graph (for example) oil temp against time.

Having all of this data is great, but it would be better if I had some way to trend the data and use it to spot developing problems. Does anyone have a program or method to graph the data?

The rows seem to be separated by about 5 second intervals - so the EMS is grabbing a snapshot of the entire engine, including GPS data such as airspeed, altitude, and location(lat/long). It also grabs the date/time from the GPS, but separates it into "day", "month", "year", "hour", "minute", "second" columns. Since the time is in six different columns, it's impossible to graph (for example) oil temp against time.

Having all of this data is great, but it would be better if I had some way to trend the data and use it to spot developing problems. Does anyone have a program or method to graph the data?

I trend data often out of my EFIS and EMS....

It is easy to combine the multiple columns into a time and date stamp that you can trend...

take a look at the =TIME function of Excel........

Also, there is a button on the Dynon that allows you to place a maker in the data file for quick access to exact moments you want to notice.

Here is an example of a trend using Dynon's data file with a few tweaks to make the timestamp usable:

6em3yb.jpg

Last edited:
Back