What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delighted by Conversion to P-Mags

Mike,

It is good to hear you are happy with the P-mags!

No need to change the plugs at the next oil change. With my low compression O-290-D2 I was doing it every 100 hours and could have gone longer between plug changes.

TCP?

Quite interesting. Wondering what change you might notice if you tried TCP or similar in the fuel...

My O-235 doesn't lead up

Wow - great write up. I fly an O-235-L2C in the Skipper and have only had lead fouling when I didn't lean on the ground. When it happened, it was easy to "burn off". My engine run on the ground always starts with a brief "burn" at 2000 rpm and leaned a bit past peak RPM. Then I do the mag check and fly normally. When on the ground, the mixture is as close to idle cutoff as I can get it.

I also lean in flight with an engine monitor. I use the REM37BY plugs and only clean them at annual (about 120 hours/year). I did just get the old Slicks overhauled to make myself feel better, but it didn't seem to change anything at all.

Even still, after reading your writeup I may consider the PMAGS for the O-320 in the RV.

Thanks for posting.

dave

Nice write up!

It's good to hear about the difference for your engine with P-mags.

I have a pair of 113 series in my Superior IO-360 in my -7 and LOVE them!
Since the last mandatory update (Sept 2008) they have been performing just great!

I've already bought a pair of 114 series for my next -7 and asked Brad last week if it was any more updates on the horizon, and the time interval for plug-change and here is his answer:

We have had no updates or changes in over a year and a half, so your units should be current.

Most customers are changing out their auto plugs every 125 hour or at annual - which ever comes first. They may last much longer, but as cheap as they are its not a significant expense. I do occasionally hear of customers experiencing roughness with plugs that exceed that mark, and after putting in new plugs the problem clears.

At Sun-N-Fun we had a couple of customers tell us they were getting better performance in certain conditions with the iridium tipped version of the BR8ES. Not sure what the part number is off hand, but it may be something you’d like to try. Previously, our reports on the benefits of iridium tipped vs. standard tip was inconsistent. They are more expensive than the BR8ES plugs but still a fraction of what the cheapest aviation plugs cost.

I have now 140 hrs and two years on my plane, (first flight July 2008) and for the last 5-10 hrs, I've noticed that the engine now needs just at tad over what it used to require for 50* LOP: FF at 23-24 litres/hr instead of 22 litres/hr at 55% power (21/2100) but as always, it runs smooth as silk.

When I lean to 22 litres/hr now, I experience a ever so slightly roughness, but it is so little, so it could as well be my own imagnation.
I always fly at 50* LOP at cruise and always lean as much as I can on the ground (just above stumbling)

After parking and just before every shutdown, I run engine at 1100 RPM for 30 sec's with the mixture set so the engine stumbles just a little. I've heard that this procedure increases the temp in the plugs so the lead will burn off, thus easing the next startup.
I'm no engine expert, but this procedure works for me: the engine always starts during the first one or two turns, cold, warm or hot.

My annual comes up in June, so I'll change the plugs then of course.
I'm using BR8ES now and I'm considering changing to the iridium-version. Anyelse using those? If so; what's your experiences?

Last annual, (80 hrs) I checked the plugs: no lead-build up and looked real fine. I rotated them from top to bottom but it made no difference back then, since the engine at that time was running just like it had been doing for those first 80 hrs.

From now on, I'll change the plugs according to Brad's recommendation.

By the way: if you REALLY want to know what's going on with your P-mags, harness and ignition-system, you might want to install the Electronic Igntion Commander: http://www.eicommander.com/index.htm

Good luck with yours!

Last edited:
I have the plasma III and one slick. I have thought of replacing the slick to a pmag but haven't yet, was told that it is better than a slick and the plasma. I use the Br8EIX plug with the iridium. I had the standard Denso plugs and wore out at 100hrs. The iridium plugs are still running great, I now have 300hrs on the engine, which has been done in one year. I lean 50 LOP in all setting, wide open and at lower speeds, I go as high as 27map with 2400rpm. The engine runs great and has no lead fowl problems at all. I have the io360 superior engine. My engine runs nice and cool, right now with 60deg F outside temp I'm running at 320 head temps. So far my wallet and plane are both happy campers.

My annual comes up in June, so I'll change the plugs then of course.
I'm using BR8ES now and I'm considering changing to the iridium-version. Anyelse using those? If so; what's your experiences?

I put iridium plugs in my IO-360 with dual Lightspeed electronic ignition over 300 hours ago. They still look and perform like new. They will go over 100,000 miles in a car, so that's equivalent to over 1500 hours. :eek: I'll keep them in as long as they continue to look and perform like new.

I put iridium plugs in my IO-360 with dual Lightspeed electronic ignition over 300 hours ago. They still look and perform like new. They will go over 100,000 miles in a car, so that's equivalent to over 1500 hours. :eek: I'll keep them in as long as they continue to look and perform like new.

Ron,
Do you remember what you gapped them at. I'm installing iridiums this weekend during my condition inspection.

Joe

Denso IK27 is what I run

I've been running dual LSI for around 500hrs now (single LSI over 1000) and have used std and Iridium in both NGK and Denso, I'm sticking with the Denso IK27 as they seem to be the highest quality. I leave mine gapped as they come from the factory which is about .032

Iridiums Fire Better When Very Lean

I have Iridiums (BR8 EIX) on my bottom slots and regular BR8 EIS's on the top. During a regular run up no difference in RPM top vs bottom. If I lean aggressively then the EIX's run 50-70 higher.

Hans

Thank you Walt

I've been running dual LSI for around 500hrs now (single LSI over 1000) and have used std and Iridium in both NGK and Denso, I'm sticking with the Denso IK27 as they seem to be the highest quality. I leave mine gapped as they come from the factory which is about .032

Thanks Walt. I have one Lightspeed Plasma II+ and I'll be installing the Denso IK27's, so I'll check that they're about .032 and install them.

Joe

Back