What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KSC and Zephyr Hills

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
OK, this is an odd request but here goes anyway.

I am planning a trip to Kennedy Space Center next week to see the Space Shuttle launch (Next Friday). Can someone suggest the best airport to fly into and also the best place to watch (and photograph) the launch?

Anyone know what restrictions are put in place on launch day?

Here is the odd part:

One of my passengers wants to surprise her boyfriend (another passenger) by taking him skydiving at Zephyr Hills after the launch. Do you think I can make it work to see the laungh (2:42pm), get back to the airport, depart to Zephyr Hills (45 minute flight) and still get at least one jump in before the end of the day?

Any thoughts, guidance, recommendations etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I cant help you much on where to fly into but I have been to a few different locations to see the launch. By far the best place I have found to view the launch is on the main road into KSC right before the Causeway. I think it is 6 hours before the launch they will block the road right before the Causeway and you can park on the side of the road. If you walk all the way up to the road block and go left, it will go right down to the water, walk down there and you have a perfect spot, you can get some excellent reflection pictures. hope this helps
-david

I was planning on flying into Merritt Island airport, just south of KSC. Anyone do that to watch a launch/landing. Was also wondering about airspace closure during those times? Any insight appreciated.

Space Coast Regional (KTIX) is the closest to KSC but you will still need a ground vehicle to get over towards the water. Beware the TFRs that they set up around launch time which could impede arrival and departure from the region. The following page has info about the airport and the TFRs.

http://www.flairport.com/home.htm

Doug.

That's where I go

Space Coast Regional (KTIX) is the closest to KSC but you will still need a ground vehicle to get over towards the water. Beware the TFRs that they set up around launch time which could impede arrival and departure from the region. The following page has info about the airport and the TFRs.

http://www.flairport.com/home.htm

Doug.

They have rental cars available but call ahead. The airport is just south of the highway/road the goes directly into the main gate at KSC. It would be a good idea to contact the visitor center at KSC and check on special viewing opportunities and recommended general viewing areas. They have a link through www.nasa.gov I believe.

Bob Axsom

Shuttle Launch

I'm sure you know this already but the shuttle launches are frequently delayed if not postponed for a day or two so if you're on a tight schedule it may/may not work. On another note, you will be able to see the plume from Z-hills. I can see it from my bedroom window on a clear day in St Petersburg but you won't get to feel the roar.

Bill Near

one word of caution,
don't expect this to be a "quicky"...

i've been planning to see the launch several months ahead after noticing that it blends perfectly with our vacation plans in florida.
also have been to KSC already once last summer, albeit not at launch time :-(
don't even think about getting tickets to go onto KSC property/nasa causeway unless you are ready to pay big bucks (or have connections).
ebay is around 150$ for a ticket on the visitor complex and 600$+ for a ticket on the causeway.

on the first date when tickets were supposed to go on sale, their internet site and even telephone system crashed. had stayed at home extra for online purchase. then, few days later, when they went on sale through a larger scale ticketing site, i was only able to log on a few minutes late and no tickets were available any longer.

our plan is now simply to drive to the state road at titusville/banana river which apparently is a better site to watch than the launch complex.
http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html
http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/space/shuttle/guide.txt
are some good resources.
oh yeah, we're driving from orlando (convention center area) by rental car and then after the launch southbound.

good luck with your planning!

bernie

p.s. maybe paul could organize a VAF guestlist charter bus type thing ;-) ?? *wishing*

Bruce, there are also drop zones in Titusville, Sebastian, and DeLand, if that could help your schedule.

Be advised that traffic (the non-winged kind) can and will be atrocious in the entire Cape area. It shouldn't be quite as bad as it can be due it being a non-weekend non-night launch. I think the DZ at ZPH is open till sundown, but it's hard to say how long it will take you to drive back to the airport.

One other bit of advice is to land on 18 at ZPH if you can, as the DZ is located at the departure end of 36. General traffic rarely uses 18/36 (mainly just the jump planes and glider ops use the runway), but it will save you a long taxi if you do. Having said that, the self-serve fuel is on the opposite (North) side of the field, so that's a consideration if you plan on filling up with their fairly cheap fuel.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Back