What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aviation seat belts in Canada

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Any fellow canucks have CROW harnesses in their RV's? In reading the MDRA stuff, they say they need to be to "aeronautical standards". I dont like the vans ones, and have trouble coughing us the money for hookers. The 5 point cam latch crows are great for the money but...I worry they wont get passed. My inspector has not replied to my request for clarification. Is this something they would note, and I can just say I as builder am ok with the Crow and still get my paperwork or no? Anyone with experience? Thanks.

Crow harness

Rick,
IIRC, the Crow harnesses are superior to any FAA standards. I believe the hardware is certified by two racing standards which are higher than the TSO the US requires. The belt material is also higher and I had Crow send me a copy of the paperwork they got with the webbing. Not something they wanted to do really but they are very accomodating.

Somewhere I made up a packet containing all the seat belt stuff so that if the inspector squawked a no-go, I could explain that my stuff beats what is required.

Look up the organization certifying the belts. I am pretty sure they have a website. You can also list the TSO documents that the FAA has.

Unless I missed him checking for a manufacturer's label or something, which is possible, I think my inspector's complete inspection of the seat belts in my aircraft consisted of "does it have belts?" "Check."

Mind you, I imported mine from the US, so there may have been an assumption that if it was good for the first 100 hours it would be fine thereafter.

Back