What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electroair Timing with 9.5:1 compression

I have run an Electroair (purple base) for 200 problem free hours. 100 hours with stock compression on a high time O-360 I installed, at overhaul I went to 9:1 compression leaving the mag, and E.I. initial timing at 25 deg. with great results. I'm in the process of changing out the cylinders to Lycon ported, with NFS 9.5:1 compression. Wanting to know if anyone else is running higher than stock compression with Electroair, and how you set mag., and E.I.

I run an IO-320 with high compression pistons and a Lightspeed EI, which operates similar to your unit. It runs 20 degrees just like the Mag recommendation for high compression, and runs fine. Keeping the same advance with higher compression may or may not result in detonation, the jury seems to be continually out.

I installed my Electroair about a year ago (replaced an older LSE Plasma I). During the ordering process, Mike (at Electroair) and I discussed the engine and the hi compression (Lycon IO-540; 10:1). My mag timing is 25 deg, and Mike recommended 23 deg for the EI's initial setting, which they set at the factory based on each customer's equipment.

If you haven't already, you might give Mike a call to discuss it, and I'll bet he can talk you through the setting process (if needed). Great folks there! (866) 494-3002.

Cheers,
Bob

Another Data Point

I've got about 1200 hours on 10:1 pistons/Electroair/Mag set up. My system is set to 23 degrees advance from the factory, and I set my mag at 23 degrees advance too. No problems so far at all. :)

Jim Baker
RV-6 N699JB

Timing Issue

Bob, and Jim Thanks for your imput. I think I'm going to start at 23deg./23deg.
Regards
Logan

P.S. also elected to go with 10:1 pistons

Last edited:
Back