What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FI Conversion

glenn654

Well Known Member
Can someone give me an estimate of the cost/trouble of converting an O-360-A1A to fuel injection?

Glenn Wilkinson

The cost can vary greatly.. depending on where you get F.I. components (new/used/OH'ed).. and you can then sell the carb and recover some cost.. I'd say if you can get it done for about 1.5k net you did well... It's not major trouble... just some more work..

I did it relatively recently and it was worth it, IMHO.. but then I enjoy that self-inflicted pain of doing major mods :)

Converting O-320 to IO-320

Would anyone have performance specifications (and costs) for any particular systems?

If I am correct, I'd be looking at the throttle-body, intake plenum, fuel injection "spider", and injectors. Would the FI system work with the mechanical fuel pump, or would it require a primary electrical fuel pump backed up by the boost pump (the latter is already installed)? Would I have to modify my intake scoop on the RV6 (I'm thinking this might be a "see how it fits" decision)?

Is it easier (best value) to buy as a system, or look at the well-known injectors by one vendor, then the plenum by another, and so on?

Thanks, in advance.

Frank

You need a new mechanical fuel pump (LW15473 -- the high pressure one).. and a new boost pump (that's one of major expenses in this conversion). Those two cannot be re-used from a carb installation.

In short, you need a new fuel servo, spider, injectors, stainless lines between spider and injectors, new mech fuel pump, new boost pump, and at least one (but possibly more than one) new hose.

FI Conversions

We have complete FI systems for different engine airframe applications. Typically our systems will increase the HP of the engine 3-8% over a carbureted engine. Fuel savings for the same HP are 3-5%. Also no carb icing, aerobatic capability, and the ability to tune each cylinder fuel air ratio for maximum efficiency. Obviously the cost for the system would probably never be recovered by the fuel savings but (probably on the order of 18 cents per hour), but if you want your engine to run the best it can then FI is the way to go. Typical kits from us cost $2500 to $3500. We can include the high pressure engine driven and electric boost pump if required. If you need more specific information you can email me at [email protected].

Don

Back