What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV builders group in SEATAC area?

airlincoln

I'm New Here
May need to move up to Seattle for work and would like to live south of SEA -- are there any RV builders at either Auburn (S50), Puyallup (PLU) or Olympia (OLM)? Any of these airports NOT authorized for first flights by the local FSDO? Any other airports I should consider? Anyone have half a hangar they would like to rent to a fellow builder? I've got an RV-7A that is ready for the finishing kit, engine and avionics. Please reply directly to -- [email protected] -- thanks!

Lincoln Keill
Sacramento, CA (RVators builder group)

P.S. How do you say "Puyallup"?

Seattle area

pew AL up (church "pew", "AL" like allen wrench, up not down)

BlackJack squadron (formation flight team) flies out of Arlington KAWO. Lots and lots of RVs of every shape here. I know of at least one shared hangar available now.

Several more RVs flying at KPAE Paine Field, Anacortes, Skagit Bayview, Harvey. These are all located north of Seattle. Can't speak for airports south of Seattle.

EAA 326 meets monthly at PLU. We have over 50 RV's in our chapter with more than 30 flying. Lot's of projects around the area.

I'm building an RV-7A in Sumner.

Quite a few at Auburn as well. I know of at least one hanger for rent at this time ther at S50.

Up here, I'm not aware of any that are not "authorized" for first flights, however, there are probably several that you don't want to first flights at, such as Auburn. It's great for normal flying, but due to ground clutter around the airport and Class B overhead, you probably wouldn't want to do a first flight there, however, many folks have done it (I did mine at Arlington, then moved it to Auburn). Crest is a nice little airport, but very narrow. Kind of depends on where you eventually live. Renton would work, as would Paine, Pierce Co, Bremerton, and Arlington.

Last edited:
boom3, I am a new rv4 builder in puyallup, about half done with the empennage right now. I was wondering when the monthly EAA meetings are held at the Puyallup airport. Do I have to be a member to attend and if so how do I go about joining? Any info you could give me would be appreciated, thanks, tom

Are there any -4 builders in the Puyallup area? I am new to this forum and have started on the tail kit about 3 months ago. (only about half done due to being away from home a lot). I would like to ask about when I need to get the completed work inspected. I have heard that any structure that will be closed and not accessable for inspection later has to be looked at before it can be completed. (such as the rudder for example.) Is this an accurate statement and if so does anyone know of an inspector in the area that I could contact?

Hi Tom,

EAA 326 meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month in the Cival Air Patrol building at PLU. So it's tomorrow night at 7pm. Come on up and check it out, great bunch of guys at lots of RV's. You can come to a couple meetings and decide if it's for you before you join. Then it's like $15 / yr.

As far as inpections along the way, although not required, are a good idea. We have a couple technical counselors in the chapter that will come check out your project. That or there are lots of guys with experience that can tell you if you're on the right track. You could even bring some of your work to the meeting if it'll fit.

Hope you can make it. Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited:
Jeff, thanks for the quick response. I will plan on attending the meeting tomorrow night. Just to make sure I'm going to the right spot, it is the airport near the landfill, is that correct? As far as I know that is the only one in the area, but have never actually been there. I will bring a couple of the pieces I have completed to get another set of eyes on them before I go any further, to make sure I am doing the work correctly. Thanks for the help, tom

That's the one. As you pull in you'll see the restaurant and off to the right is Spencer Aircraft. The CAP building is the small building to the right of Spencer. There will be a fair amount of cars parked near it.

See you there!

Not any more..

. I have heard that any structure that will be closed and not accessable for inspection later has to be looked at before it can be completed.

It used to be that way long ago but as was pointed out, ask a Tech inspector at the meeting to come and look at what you have...(Offer to pay for his gas, or buy him a hamburger, since they don't charge....nice courtesy, though), and he'll fill out an EAA form that you keep in your build record and can show the DAR a few years from now:),

Welcome,

Yep.
EAA326.
$15 per year.
RV intensive.
Tool Crib (W&B scales, prop ballancing, access to a trailer to get airframe to airport)
Friendly, and have 'rivet buddies' assistance program.
2 really good DARs.
What could be better? :D

(S36) - with hangar & apartment

THUN - Thun field is how I make my calls.:p
326 is a great chapter... as Jeff has pointed out.

Let me know if you are serious about moving up here.
I live on S36 and have a hangar & apartment. Crest (S36) is probably the worst place for a first flight, but then I was very motivated to have everything working right. You have never seen an aircraft looked over so many times by so many experts. Seriously they are REALLY true experts around here. We have 120 homes on this airpark and I would guess that each owner looked my plane over 3-4 times. There were some opinions, facts, and a lot of input incurred before first flight of my 7-A. Conversations may have been some facilitation by margaritas and BBQs but no opinions seem to be held in reserve.

Looking for hangar

I'm moving to Seattle, and need to find a hangar for a 172 and an RV-8. Are there any condo- type situations at Auburn, Puyallup, Renton, Crest??

Back