What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calgary in July

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I'm visiting Calgary this July (8-19) and will probably fly into Springbank. A couple of questions:

1) Anybody have space in a hangar that I could rent for that time period? Or is tying down reasonable (i.e., safe) there?

2) I was looking at Budget rental cars, and there is about $500 difference between renting from one of the "downtown" locations vs. the same car at the airport. Anybody know why this is the case (I know airport rentals are generally higher, but $500???) and how easy it would be to get into town in a taxi or similar conveyance? Worth a bit of extra hassle to save $500!

Thanks,
greg

It's the Stampede...

I'm visiting Calgary this July (8-19) and will probably fly into Springbank. A couple of questions:
2) I was looking at Budget rental cars, and there is about $500 difference between renting from one of the "downtown" locations vs. the same car at the airport. Anybody know why this is the case (I know airport rentals are generally higher, but $500???) and how easy it would be to get into town in a taxi or similar conveyance? Worth a bit of extra hassle to save $500!

Thanks,
greg

... (the Calgary Stampede) that is driving up the car rental prices...:) I bet most of the hotel reservations are probably gone too.

We were there last year the week after the Stampede, and got a heck of a deal from Enterprise, less than $19/day CDN for a not-so-small car.

Make sure you have time to drive up to Banff and the Rockies - no easy airstrip there though...

Flying at 8,500 ft. through the Rockies to Vancouver was a kick...

We did customs at Lethbridge, which the locals said was easier than Springbank - it was easy - park, go into terminal, call on phone, get a number, fly off...:)

Gil,

Thanks for the info. We're spending most of the time in the mountains, one day at the stampede ($189/ticket! but its my mother's 80th birthday). I did find a cheaper car from Enterprise just down the road from Springbank and they'll come pick us up.

Will have a look at Lethbridge and see if that's easier.

greg

Hanger

I am in High River and can make you a spot. It is about a 30 minute drive to the southern city limits. Rental cars available in Okotoks which is half way between Highriver and the city. Get in touch and I am sure we can work something out. I am going to Arlington on the day you arrive but should only be gone for a couple of days. Should be around the remainder of the time you are here. It is a good idea to keep the plane inside due to hail storms.

Springbank has lots of Hangers that must have space too, since you are spending most of your time in the mountains it is much closer. Just need to have someone check in who knows what is available.

Last edited:
Back