What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

air drill

jany77

Well Known Member
hi guys im wanted info about air drill,is on market something good like sioux air drill but cheaper and where thanks

I have 2 Harbor Freight air drills ($19.95 ea.) One has been with me through the building of 8 airplanes, and the other through 4. They both still run great. If they both quit tomorrow, I'm still way ahead.
Mel...DAR

jany77 said:
hi guys im wanted info about air drill,is on market something good like sioux air drill but cheaper and where thanks

I have a Sioux (and paid for it). It's great, but nextime I'd look around. In my opinion, the only thing that really matters is that it has a good teasing trigger to control speed. I've heard good things about Dotco drills (from ATS, I think) that cost about $70 instead $200 for the Sioux.

My Dotco Mini palm drill costs $239.00 from the cheapest place I could find a year ago. I need to check ATS looks like.
One thing I learned about air drills is you don't need a high speed drill for most of what you will be using it for. When opening up rivet holes slower is better and that is 80% of what the drill is used for. For countersing and deburring the slower the better. I use my cordless on the screw driver speed for countersinking and deburring. If the cordless wasn't so heavy and combersome I would use it for everything. BTW, I love my Dotco air drill. I may buy it a valentine :D

Last edited:
Chicago Pneumatic

I bought a Chicago Pneumatic for $89 off of e-bay and am very happy with it. I have attached a link to the same seller I used below. It arrived in 2 days and works great.

Link

Cheap ones...

I bought a Sears one, and it was useless for fine work.

Make sure any one that you buy has a "teasing" throttle... some of the cheap ones are either ON or OFF, with a small kick back as they spin up... this makes it difficult to locate a hole precisely.

Also, since all of the power is back in the compressor, go for the lightest one you can get....

gil in Tucson

I am happy with my CH, purchased at Home Depot

I think I paid $30 for it. You could bye three units and permantly mount a #30, #40, and a stepbit (or whatever) and still be money ahead compared to a Sioux/Dotco purchase.

I have used a friends Sioux. It was certainly a better unit but 6 times better? Hardly. Good luck.

Hugh

Get one that is small & light weight. Small in diameter is reallly helpful when you are drilling inside tight places.

You want one that will turn 2,500 rpm minimum.

If price is an issue, buy from Brown for a new one or buy off Ebay. Brown's price on a 3,600 rpm Sioux model 1412 is $185, vs. $239 at lots of other places.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Wings

Teaser

I'll jump on the bandwagon for teasing trigger. Get at least one drill with that.

I have an ancient ARO with teasing trigger (had it for a long time and it was old when I got it.) and aquired another off brand drill with my project tool purchases. It has digital trigger. ON/OFF. Sux. I use them interchangeably ('cause I keep them with bits loaded) but the ARO is preffered. Especially for those "test" rivets that need to be removed before the real one is installed. :D

Oh yeah. Pay attention to the air exhaust. My cheapo has the exhaust on the top. It will blow every piece of paper off the bench on the first drilled hole. The ARO exhausts back through the bottom of the handle. No problemo

YMMV

Back