What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Naked wheel pant brackets.....Singing at 140+ knots?

Brantel

Well Known Member
Anyone ever experience singing wheel pant brackets on the taildraggers?

I have a singing sound above 140 knots and I am having trouble finding the exact cause. Today I safetywired the front of the bracket to the back and pulled it taught. I honestly think that made it worse instead of stopping it.

Next step is to remove them or just put the wheelpant on with no gear leg fairing.

I think this is what is causing the noise but I am not sure. It is airspeed related though. Motor RPM has no effect on it but the faster I go, the louder it gets.

Bare Brackets - Not a Good Idea

Brian:
High frequency resonance of the brackets could lead to cracking - think fatigue failure. That was my experience. My fix was to go to stainless brackets and mount the wheel pants. Flew that way for a couple of years. The pants gave me about 5 extra knots. Adding the gear leg fairings produced about 7-8 additional knots. Maybe next time I'll know better.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Remove the brackets until you're ready to mount the fairings. Think what would happen if you had to land off-airport with those grass grabbers on.

Back