What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Burgers! - Calhoun GA - Saturday April 3rd

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
If you're looking for somewhere to fly your RV on Saturday, April 3rd, EAA Chapter 268 will be flipping hamburgers at KCZL (Calhoun, GA). Whether you like yours raw, burned, dropped on the ramp, or with a sprinkle of 100LL, please come on by.

Burgers will be on the grill by 11:30 and will be served until we run out of something - burgers, patience, volunteers, customers, or tall tales.

By the way, the Calhoun airport is an extremely GA friendly place. The FBO loves RV's and other sporty aircraft, and even has a second floor observation deck. I guarantee RV folks will be welcomed.

For fly-in attendees the already low fuel at Calhoun will be discounted by another $0.20. Also, we'll be making high quality (hopefully) pictures of arriving aircraft. If you want a nice picture of your airplane in landing mode, give us your name, N-number, and e-mail address and we'll send one your way.

Proceeds from the event will go towards the Chapter's hangar project.

For the geographically challenged, Calhoun is about 50 miles North of Atlanta near I-75.

I hope some of you can make it on Saturday.

Calhoun - Airplanes in field off interstate?

Whenever I am driving down the interstate to and from Florida I always look for the warbirds and other military aircraft that were parked in a field around the Calhoun area. The last time through I couldn't see them through the foilage. They still there?

The airfield is (was) called Mercer. It's been encroached by development and not much of the runway remains. There are a few warbirds still sitting there - in terrible condition. Noticed the other day that the aft fusleage has broken off the Martin 404 and is sitting on the ground.

Maybe 1 or 2 of the old warbirds are still there.

Three in fact. The F-84, the T-33, and the Convair. Sometime last fall, they cut the outer wings and aft fuselage off of the Convair. The other privately owed aircraft were sold, and the F-8, F-86, and several other government owned aircraft have been removed. The government still owns the F-84 and T-33, so their fate is TBD, I guess.

The strip is still mowed routinely, but a large billboard is installed along one side of the runway and is an imposing obstacle. The land is being taken by (or sold to) the Fed's. One day it will be an interstate exit ramp.

A Breakfast Option

Pancakes, OJ, and coffee in Taylorsville and then we all load up for Calhoun for burgers at lunch? Gonna be that kind of Saturday!:D

Back