What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barstow area info

Rick S.

Well Known Member
I'm going to be starting a project in the Barstow area. I plan to fly my RV-10 in and then back to Vegas on the weekends. Any tips for the local airport there? KDAG looks like my only real choice in the area.

Yep

Daggett is the only public airport in Barstow. Actually, it's a little outside of Barstow, on the east side of the city. There is a small dirt strip in Newberry Springs or Harvard, north on I-15 about 15 miles or so? It's right off the freeway, between Minneola Rd and Harvard Rd exits. There's a small housing development and man-made lake next to it. I don't know if it's even charted, but it's still there last time I drove by there at Christmas.

Thanks Craig,

Considering how far I need to drive from Barstow to get to work, The flight there will be about the same as my drive!

Fly/Drive decision

I saw in the Universe paper from my past employer the they are starting a multi-year upgrade in the deep space network (DSN) to replace the 70 meter antennas at Canberra, Madrid and Goldstone with arrays of four 34 meter beam wave guide antennas. Many years ago MDAC-W was involved with the construction of a solar power station near Barstow. Some interesting things take place in the high desert north of LA.

I have tied down at Daggett when going into Goldstone and it is a fairly long drive other places can be farther. When I went to work for JPL in Pasadena I lived in Laguna Hills and the daily commute took approximately four hours out of my daily life. After a couple of years of that mind and spirit crushing existence I worked out a system where I could fly part of the way each day and I did it for 15 years. In my case it enriched my life in ways that are hard to describe. It cost more it saved no time in the overall trip but it remains one of the great memories of my experience. In your case where you make the trip once a week and leave your interesting airplane exposed to looki-loos and desert windstorms for a week at a time might be discouraging especially given the high speed traffic option on the I-15. Hope it works out well for you.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back