What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single P-Mag & Magento Lead Question

Hello,

I am installing one P-Mag and on Slick Magneto on a first time build. I am about to make up the P-Mag leads.

The shop put all the P-Mag leads and auto spark plugs in the top of the cylinders and Magneto plugs into the bottom. However, the screw on the end of the mag leads are labelled two top and two bottom. Does it matter if I follow this in this configuration? Can I leave all the magnetos leads going into the bottom of the cylinders?

Best regards,

Andrew Butler
RV7 EI-EEO
Galway, Ireland.

Sure can. Supposedly, mags fire two top/two bottom to even out drop on a mag check since the bottom plugs foul more readily than the top plugs. For this reason I would put the mag fired plugs on top since the spark is weak compared to an electronic ignition.

Why don't you just get rid of the mag and go dual electronic? I retrofitted a mag onto a dual P-mag ship because that's what the buyer wanted. There was a noticeable drop in performance. Mags require maintenance, P-mags don't, and mags do break. Electronic ignitions have been around long enough to work out the teething bugs; hasn't been an issue in a couple of years on P-mags, and a lot longer on Lightspeed. I consider them now more reliable than mags.

John Siebold

Why don't you just get rid of the mag and go dual electronic? I retrofitted a mag onto a dual P-mag ship because that's what the buyer wanted. There was a noticeable drop in performance.
John Siebold

John,can you explain what drop in performance you saw? I would expect and improvement.

Back