What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Fuel tank lesson learned

bsacks05

Well Known Member
I recently did a leak check on my tanks using 4 gallons of mogas and........there were leaks on one of the tanks.
When I built them I did the air leak check and they were fine but that was over two years ago and now, before I paint and install the wings, I decided to do a final check with gas. Perhaps when I built them I was less aware of the sealing process or something.
The leaks were at two of the aft corners where the baffle, ribs, skin, etc. come together.
My suggestion to anyone building tanks is to be sure to be generous while sealing those corners. Also, I didn't seal my access plate to the cork and it did not leak but sure made it easy to get back inside the tank with more sealant. I have since put sealant on the cork since it will probably leak over time.
For me, a second leak check with mogas was an eye-opening and smelly experience. But the reassurance that I will not have to mess with my tanks after they are installed was worth it.

Bruce
-9 to be flying this spring!

Back