What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LSE Flywheel / Crank Sensor Interference

Noah

Well Known Member
Installing Lightspeed Engineering Direct Crank Sensor on an IO-360 A1B6. The bracket on the front of the crankcase for the LSE Direct Crank Sensor board interferes with the ring gear support (aka flywheel). No mention of this problem in the install manual, or on the LSE website, or on this forum, so I figured I'd post this for future builders. The manual does specify that the flywheel ID needs to be 8.5" (mine is, evidently older engines can have a smaller flywheel).

The flywheel on this engine is a Lycoming 75030 and is correct per the Lyc parts manual. This flywheel has provision for deicing nozzles, and there is a flange inside the flywheel where deicing fluid is sprayed so that it can be flung via centrifugal force out a couple of nozzles to the prop leading edges. Unfortunately, this flange interferes with the Direct Crank Sensor mounting bracket.:(

So the de-ice flange will have to be machined off - oh well, it looks like I won't be able to add that de-ice option I was hoping for:rolleyes:. The DCS bracket is ~6-13/16 in OD, and the de-ice flange is 6.25 ID. I'll remove flange to make the ID 7.000 in. Thus 3/32 (0.093 in.) nominal radial clearance from bracket to flywheel.

Anybody else run into this? Surprised I hadn't seen it before, since this is the flywheel used on the A1A, A1B, A1C, A1D, A2A, A2B, B1B, and B1F engines. At least I'll shave some weight off my flywheel. Here's some photos of the problem.
Slideshow: http://img696.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=flywheelinterference.jpg )...

LSE timing

Have you spoken with Klaus about this? He has a new-type trigger assembly that might work better.

Well I machined the de-ice ring off my flywheel. Took it to a diameter of 7.000 inches ID from 6.250 inches. This results in a nominal 3/32 inch (.093) radial clearance from the flywheel to the bracket. Oh yeah, and I asked Klaus at LSE about it. His response: "you have to turn the deicing ring out to make that work".

I was quite surprised to see how much runout there is in a stock flywheel when it was on the lathe. Anyway, it fits quite nicely now.

Back