What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sight picture RV-7 on 3-pt attitude

Flyfalcons

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a picture of their eye-level view on the ground in a -7? I'm curious to see how much of the horizon is obstructed by the cowl. I've found some pics from the -8s, but no -7 yet. Thanks.

somewhat variable

Ryan,
Sorry no picture. But this tends to vary some from pilot to pilot. I like to sit as high as I comfortably can. The '7 seems a bit higher than my '8.

Thanks, I got to sit in a tailwheel RV-7 yesterday and was satisfied with the view. Of course I forgot my camera so I wasn't able to display a picture for others who are interested.

RV-6

DSC05912.jpg

I happened to think of this thread the other day as I was shutting down and so took a photo. It is a bit deceptive for a couple of reasons. This is an RV-6 and my canopy seems to be built a bit lower than most. This was taken with a SLR where the lens is a little more than an inch lower than the viewfinder and yes an inch or so is pretty significant. In reality I can scooch up and tilt my head back and see directly over the nose (unfortunately through the bottom of my bifocals).

I do have my head set very close to the canopy. If it is rough I pull a couple of Gs after takeoff so as to settle lower in the seat to get a bit more clearance.

Back