What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bent willies strip in lake wales florida

turbo

Well Known Member
img0183o.jpg

I flew over this strip which i think is bills. would like to fly in there some time and go down for a burger. is this bills? how is it flying into a curved strip? where is smokey?

My name is Bill Whidden and just finished a 1700 foot grass strip in Lake Wales Florida. Great little hamburger joint 1/2 mile away with angus burgers. If you guys wanted to come down let me know. Just got the identifier 52FA. They (FAA) got all the info wrong on runway direction. It's actually 03-22 The runway has a little bend in it. We call it Bent Willies Smokey was the first to land there and visits regularly. My number is 407-616-7764. In about 3 weeks the swamp buggy will be available to drive down to restaurant and any rv'rs would be welcome to land and use it. Just stay on edge of road, it's not street legal

Bill whidden
rv-4

bent willies

Turbo,

Yes , you found Bent Willies!! 1800 feet from dirt road around perimeter to the fence at other end. Extremely easy to get into because of the open sod field on the North east end.

I'm parking a cj7 down there next week and will leave instructions on where to find the key. Absolutely the BEST ANGUS burgers 1/2 mile away at Big Johns Country store. And..... He sells pretty cheap Av-gas! The fuel is clean and filtered twice. Reason for av gas is all the airboats that use that road for getting to the Kississimmee River.

How about a Valentine Hamburger Fly-in?? I'll shuttle people back and forth to restaurant and have a fire going if it's cool?

Bill
rv-4

curve?

Smokey is flying this weekend for SW, I think?

Flying into a curved strip is really easy and fun. The strip is intimidating the first time in but after that no big deal. Try to touch down just after dirt road and you wont have to use brakes at all. If you float past pond just go around.

Power lines on the south side of strip but are not a factor.

SW approach

Bill, is landing to the sw the preferred way? whats the scoop on NE landing? looks a bit narrower on the south end. what happen to the swamp buggy ? :eek:turbo

landings

most of the time land to the southwest on 22. If landing on 03 just come over the top*of the oaks and cut power. Its a real easy go around landing on 03. Swamp buggy is there just need to get carb fixed.

Do you want to get a few people to come on Sunday for lunch?

Back