What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADI Pilot I & II reliability

Jamie

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I currently have a Trutrak Digiflight II AP in my -7A and I absolutely love it. I have had no problems with it except for the screen issue which has been widely reported here. Trutrak of course swapped out the screen quickly and promptly.

However I am in the process of doing on IFR upgrade on my panel and I was thinking of swapping out the DII for a ADI Pilot II in order to have an additional attitude reference with no loss of functionality (yes, I understand that it's not really attitude that's displayed and I'm ok with that).

However, with a little research (read: googling) I have come across quite a few issues regarding reliability of these units, including several here on VAF.

I have no doubt that Trutrak would take care of any service issues but my main concern is I don't like maintenance issues and if I can limit them I will.

So what say you, VAF? What kind of time are folks puttings on their ADI Pilots I and II's? Any problems?

I have every intention of calling Trutrak on Monday and getting the scoop from them but I thought I would query the good folks here first.

Hi Jamie,

I forget exactly which version you have, but I don't think it is a VSGV because I don't remember a 430/530/480 in your panel.

Send me a PM with your phone number, I may be able to provide you some ideas depending on your goals...

Cheers,

Bill

I have the straight Digiflight II so the ADI Pilot II is pretty much functionally equivalent (as far as I can tell). The only difference I can see (based on documentation) is that the ADI Pilot II lets you engage altitude hold separate from the roll servo. The Digiflight II doesn't let you do that...you have to engage roll first then altitude hold.

If you can wait.....

...rumor is that within 6 months, the Digiflight II will appear externally as the ADI II. I have the same unit in my -10 and don't want to give up the AH backup functionality either. Seems that quite a few of us have asked TruTrak for that feature.

Best,

600 hours

Hi Jamie,

600 hrs on my ADI Pilot 2. No issues, just plain works - I use it every flight, one way or another.

I am having issues with my ADI (not ADI II) which if I understant is the same thing as ADI II minus the A/P. My digi II is working like a charm but the ADI has had its moments. I am going to be sending it in during my annual and I am really hoping this time lasts me longer.

I put an ADI-3 (stand alone, no autopilot interface) in my 9A back in october. Total of 4 hrs TT in the airplane and it is back at the factory as we speak for the third time. I have requested a replacement instead of a repair this go around, we'll see.
It has left me with large holes in both my panel and my wallet thus far. Not to mention the sore back from all the time standing on my head under the panel installing and re-installing.

good luck

doug

...rumor is that within 6 months, the Digiflight II will appear externally as the ADI II. I have the same unit in my -10 and don't want to give up the AH backup functionality either. Seems that quite a few of us have asked TruTrak for that feature.

Best,

Pierre! Shame on you for spreading rumors like that! ;)

There is something in the works, but I can't say much more than that at this time. If you were at AirVenture last year and stopped by our booth, you probably saw a quick preview of it. I can't give a definite time frame right now as we don't have one. But I think everyone will be pleased with the result.

Jamie,

If you're considering an IFR upgrade, why not upgrade the DII to the VSGV model and add a 2 1/4" ADI for a backup horizon? Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

ADI II ?gyro problem?

My aircraft has the TruTrak ADI Pilot II. There are about 400 hours on the aircraft and the AP is powered on all the time. Within the last two flight hours, the instrument indicates an erroneous 20-degree right bank while in straight and level flight. The artificial horizon still moves, apparently, appropriately, but with the new 20-degree right baseline.
The autopilot appears to still function properly in heading, track and altitude-hold modes. Has anyone else experienced similar failure modes with regard to the "attitude indicator" portion?

Troy

Last edited:
Hi Troy,

Give me a call or send me a PM with the serial number and I'll get you set up with an RMA to return it for repair. Please include your contact info. Thanks!

Back