What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serial Number

zsadecki

Where can you find the serial number for your RV kit? Is it the same as your customer number? order number?

OK, now I'm confused...

zsadecki said:
Where can you find the serial number for your RV kit? Is it the same as your customer number? order number?
Jaypratt said:
Yes, you answered your own question.
I've got the same question, but I'm confused by Jay's response. :confused:

I recently ordered the RV-10 empennage kit. While the kit has not yet been delivered, I just received the hard copy invoice in the mail. It has three numbers on it:

(1) "Invoice: 24136",
(2) "Customer: 40619", and
(3) "Order: 6-20654".

There is no "Serial No." listed on the invoice or the bill of lading, but there is another number on the bill of lading:

"B/L#: VANS09428".

So what is the "Serial Number" that I input into KitLog Pro, or do I not find out until the kit is physically delivered? :confused:

The "Customer Number" is your Builder Number. The Serial Number you use in registering your finished aircraft can be anything that you want it to be - you are the manufacturer, and you can call it the "Roadster Serial #1" if you so desire. Practically speaking I bet that a large number of folks just use the Van's Builder # - I did...I guess that just shows a lack of originality....

Paul

Ironflight said:
The "Customer Number" is your Builder Number. The Serial Number you use in registering your finished aircraft can be anything that you want it to be - you are the manufacturer, and you can call it the "Roadster Serial #1" if you so desire. Practically speaking I bet that a large number of folks just use the Van's Builder # - I did...I guess that just shows a lack of originality....
Thanks, Paul. That helps a bit.

FWIW, KitLog Pro has four fields that I need to fill in under the "Kit" heading:

(1) Manufacturer (presumably "Van's Aircraft, Inc.", since that appears to be what automatically populated the www.vansaircraft.com website URL on the MyKitLog project page listed below in my signature),

(2) Model (presumably "RV-10"),

(3) Serial Number (???), and

(4) Registration Number (Presumably the FAA-assigned N-number).

So apparently all I need to decide on is the Serial Number.

If Van's doesn't assign an official "Serial Number" to each kit, then I can choose whatever I want (e.g., my customer number "40619" or "Roadster 0001")? :confused:

Last edited:
manufacturer

As you are the manufacturer you would use your name. If you are Bob Smith the aircraft manufacturer would be "Smith-Vans RV10" At least this is the way I was told.
Sorensen-Vans RV 9A N51HS
painting

Harvey L. Sorensen said:
As you are the manufacturer you would use your name. If you are Bob Smith the aircraft manufacturer would be "Smith-Vans RV10" At least this is the way I was told.
Sorensen-Vans RV 9A N51HS
painting
Well, I tried making some changes. I changed "Manufacturer:" to "Roadster Aircraft" and "Model:" to "Van's RV-10". Then I uploaded the data. When I re-visited the webpage, the "Aircraft:" line had changed to "Roadster Aircraft - Van's RV-10", and the entire "Manufacturer:" line with the URL to the Van's Aircraft website had disappeared.

I think since this is all under listed the "Kit" section of the User Profile, the "Manufacturer" refers to the maker of the kit parts (Van's), not the builder of the finished plane (Roadster).

"Manufacturer" is YOUR NAME. ie. "Smith, John". Model can be whatever you want..."RV-10"...or "Vans RV-10". My model is "A&M-6" (the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel). The serial number can be whatever you want.
But to repeat..manufacturer must be "YOUR NAME". When you register the airplane with FAA, your name must be listed as manufacturer and all other paperwork MUST match the registration exactly.

Mel said:
"Manufacturer" is YOUR NAME. ie. "Smith, John". Model can be whatever you want..."RV-10"...or "Vans RV-10". My model is "A&M-6" (the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel). The serial number can be whatever you want.
But to repeat..manufacturer must be "YOUR NAME". When you register the airplane with FAA, your name must be listed as manufacturer and all other paperwork MUST match the registration exactly.
Mel, please re-read my last post. I'm referring to the "Kit" input fields on KitLog Pro, not the aircraft input fields on the FAA registration process.

The "Manufacturer" field of the Profile on KitLog Pro is under the "Kit" sub-section, referring to the kit manufacturer, not the manufacturer of the finished plane listed on the official FAA registration process. There is another place on the profile for "Builder" name.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to...

http://www.mykitlog.com/eddieseve/

I hope that clarifies things.

Edit: I tried posting a screenshot of the Kit portion of the profile window, but I keep getting an error when I attempt to upload, even though the filesize is just 8KB and it's a jpg file.

Last edited:
That's fine. That is a "kit-log" thing. The "kit manufacturer" is not required anywhere as far as FAA is concerned. I just wanted to make sure that you understood that the aircraft manufacturer is YOU. When the "kit manufacturer" is listed on the registration, it's a real pain to get it straightened out. And, believe me, it happens all too often.

Mel said:
That's fine. That is a "kit-log" thing. The "kit manufacturer" is not required anywhere as far as FAA is concerned. I just wanted to make sure that you understood that the aircraft manufacturer is YOU. When the "kit manufacturer" is listed on the registration, it's a real pain to get it straightened out. And, believe me, it happens all too often.
I can imagine. Thanks for clarifying.

There is a good reason (at least in my country in California) to NOT use RV-X as the model number. The tax assesor for my county just opens up Trade-A-Plane and takes the average value of the RV-X and decides to tax me on that value. My RV is not worth what most are asking for theirs. My next plane is going to be a VanArtsdalen SV-7. ;)

But then this may not be a factor in your area.

svanarts said:
There is a good reason (at least in my country in California) to NOT use RV-X as the model number. The tax assesor for my county just opens up Trade-A-Plane and takes the average value of the RV-X and decides to tax me on that value. My RV is not worth what most are asking for theirs. My next plane is going to be a VanArtsdalen SV-7. ;)

But then this may not be a factor in your area.

I can see using a different model being worth while for that reason but it was my understanding that the FAA has been pressured by the NTSB to require the Kit Manufacturer model number at least be included in the model number used for registration (such as, Model: John Doe RV7A) so that safety and accident data can be tracked for airplanes built from kits.

Any comment Mel?

Back