What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O360 sump convesion

rv468

I am converting an O360 that had a horizontal pressure carb to a downdraft sump to use in my RV4. I purchased a used sump for this conversion. This sump has connection tubes that taper from 1 ?? to 1 ?? where they enter the sump. I have since been told that this sump was for an O320 since the tubes tapered. An old Lycoming parts manual for O360s list this sump (#71871) as being used on several different 180 hp engines. But the newer parts manual list a different number (#78915) for 180 hp. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith

Cameron,
I think you will find that that type of sump was used on older 360's. I have found that the older style sump that you have, knocked a little power off the engines they were used on. (2-5 HP) So if power is your thing, you ought to get a later style sump. If a couple of HP less isn't going to bother you then what you have will work fine as it has on many other 360's. Both engines obviously meet Lycoming?s max power spec for the engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back