What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LSE Coil wire routing/installation photos??

MS19087

Well Known Member
I have checked the threads but can't really find any good photos. I looking for photos of LSE coil wire (RG400 cable) running through the rear baffle and terminating with .25 spade lugs. As my coils are so close to the baffle I am using 90degree spades - just wanted to see how other shave done this. Thanks!

Hi Mark,

On my 9a, the coils were located too close to the rear baffle also. I modified the coil mount bracket and moved it (speaking from memory here) one thrubolt forward. This gave me sufficient room to use the straight in connectors and sufficient distance to avoid vibration stress from the baffle from breaking the wire where it attaches to the blade connector.

If Dan Checkoway is monitoring this thread he might add something--I believe he had a failure at this stress point.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Mark,
My 7A is down for the cylinder AD removal. It is uncowled in the hangar and available for a look see if you want to take a look. I did move the coils forward from the original mtg location that Mattituck had used. Will email you som photos too. Call me at work if you want to see the plane. 610 692 2455

Thanks . . . another related question

Just to clarify . . . My Mattituck TMX IO-320 had the coils installed too close - I made a new mount to move them forward slightly - however it could not be located on the next forward case bolt - I have about 1.25" clearance between baffle and coil lugs. I had though about the service loop idea - my question is, how much or the RG400 can I leave unshielded? Is 6-8" too much??

Jeff - I'll give you a call - thankfully my cylinders were outside the AD!

There are a bunch of pictures floating around my -9A build log of the top of my O320 that show how I did it.

one more..

I bought my engine from Aerosport, and the LSE ignition modules were mounted on the engine by them in a place/position that would not work well with the stock baffling. I had to fab a little mounting plate that allowed me to slide the ignition modules a little more forward. I then just brought the coax through the baffling through a grommet.

Here's a pic from just before I connected everything. It gives you an idea of one way to do this.
DSCN0338.sized.jpg

coil location.......survey says...?

on all EI systems, there seems to be 2 typical coil install locations.
one is on the engine/baffles, other on the firewall.

- Baffle or top mount stays cooler at 100mph, but gets heat soaked after landing. Leads to top plugs nice & short.
- the firewall mount enjoys a big heat sink, but may be hotter in flight, and requires longer leads ( in theory)

comments?:)

Since they're automotive coils designed to live happily in the heat, mount the coils for the top plugs to the crankcase split flange like the photo above. If you have a full-electronic setup, a good place to mount the coils for the bottom plugs is to the back of one of the mag cover plates that Lightspeed supplies. That plate is pretty stout and can hold the coils easily. Just use red Loctite on whatever hardware you attach through the cover plate.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, 320 hours with dual Plasma II's

Since they're automotive coils designed to live happily in the heat, mount the coils for the top plugs to the crankcase split flange like the photo above. If you have a full-electronic setup, a good place to mount the coils for the bottom plugs is to the back of one of the mag cover plates that Lightspeed supplies. That plate is pretty stout and can hold the coils easily. Just use red Loctite on whatever hardware you attach through the cover plate.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, 320 hours with dual Plasma II's

Really? Random mounting hardware attached "through" the cover plate... I guess it works for you, but I don't think I have enough safety wire in my hangar to tempt fate with that trick :). Sorry, that would give me the willies.

Really? Random mounting hardware attached "through" the cover plate... I guess it works for you, but I don't think I have enough safety wire in my hangar to tempt fate with that trick :). Sorry, that would give me the willies.

Really? You can't trust an AN 1/4-28 bolt with an AN pinched locknut AND red "permanent" Loctite to hold a 1-lb load on the back of a 3-1/2" diameter plate that's around .200" thick, held on by 5/16" studs that used to hold a magneto? Wow, you're a he!! of a worry-wart. I'd be WAY more concerned with the cylinder base nuts and the connecting rod nuts not being safetied, for instance. ;)

Really? You can't trust an AN 1/4-28 bolt with an AN pinched locknut AND red "permanent" Loctite to hold a 1-lb load on the back of a 3-1/2" diameter plate that's around .200" thick, held on by 5/16" studs that used to hold a magneto? Wow, you're a he!! of a worry-wart. I'd be WAY more concerned with the cylinder base nuts and the connecting rod nuts not being safetied, for instance. ;)

Roger that, I am a worry-wart. The cylinder base and connecting rod nuts are required hardware. There are lots of options for mounting ignition coils.

Back