What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

music jack question

buz

Well Known Member
I'm sure glad advice is free! Anyway, I am wiring a music jack to a pm1000 intercom panel and there are only 2 wires(mono) to the intercom, the jack is stereo (3 terminal), which jack is the proper one to use for mono music? I know to use the ground, but then the middle jack or the tip?

BUZ

A stereo jack has three terminals...tip, ring and sleeve. Sleeve is the ground, the sleeve is the middle part of the jack and the tip...well, you get it.
Anyway, stereo obviously has a ground, a left and a right input. Mono has only one sound input, the same for both sides. So, if you want to hear music out of both sides of the headset, you will need to wire the mono sound wire to both the left and right input terminals on the jack. You can use a short jumper at the jack on the panel to connect them. It won't be real stereo, but at least you'll hear the same thing on both sides.
Hope that helps.

3 terminals Tip, Ring, Sleeve is also commonly known as a TRS. Heres a PDF link that shows a 1/4" TRS for reference. plughttp://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/products/downloads/210_12221.pdf

You can do one of two things depending on what kind of wire your using. If you are using single pair non-shielded wire just jump the tip and ring at the jack. The tip/ring would be the Hi and the sleeve would be Lo.

Single pair Shielded wire: Shield to sleeve, Red to tip, Black to Ring at the jack. At the input tie red and black together. Red/Black goes to Hi and the shield goes to Lo. This is how I usually interface iPods, computers & whatnot into large sound systems at work.

If you only hook up Tip (usually left) or Ring (usually right) you will still hear in both ears because the intercom is mono but if there is a guitar or something in the music that is panned hard to the wrong side you won't hear it.

hope this helps!

Jeff

Back