What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian gascolator issue

Bevan

Well Known Member
Perhaps some of the veterans here can comment on the real benefit/liability on using a gascolator on a fuel injected aircraft in the Canadian operating environment. If the collected wisdom suggests no value and possibly more failure points (not to mention cost), I suggest a tech savy member initiate a on-line petition that can be presented to the feds and put an end to this once and for all.

Bevan

How does the type of fuel injection or carburetion affect how much grit and water can show up in your fuel? If you don't use one, how will you filter your fuel?

-Rob

Rob, I'm not sure I understand your question. On the RV's, the lowest point of the fuel system is at the tank drains, so the water comes out there. The fuel injection setup per the Vans design includes a large filter near the boost pump, so the grit comes out there.

Bevan

This issue really has been beat to death on this list. Again, for the record: I have found water drops in my gascolator even though it is not the lowest spot in the system.
The Andair gascolator has a very good filter and the ability to sump the gascolator gives you the opportunity to "see" if debris is building up in the filter.
Almost all small certified planes are flying with gascolators.
Many owners are getting along fine using inline filters. However this is not an option in Canada and I for one would install a high quality gascolator even if it was not mandatory. This really is a non issue,
If you want a petition to circulate that would really help us, then do one that would allow us to sign our own aircraft off after the test flight period. Currently we are being held for weeks waiting for an inspector in the Transport Canada Hamilton office.

I'll take Tom's side on this. While I'm all for simplifying where prudent, the use of high quality gacolators is (or rather, will be) one of my personal requirements on my -8. Notice I said gascolators... there will be one at each wing root. Just ordered them from Andair, along with the valve and group-buy FI pump.

Personal opinion only :)

I'm with Tom and Kent

Snip. While I'm all for simplifying where prudent, the use of high quality gacolators is (or rather, will be)
one of my personal requirements on my -8. Notice I said gascolators...
there will be one at each wing root.

That's what I did on my 7. Fits like a glove. Simple plumbing. http://picasaweb.google.com/lorne7a/NewAlbum091101711PM#
regards

Last edited:
Perhaps some of the veterans here can comment on the real benefit/liability on using a gascolator on a fuel injected aircraft in the Canadian operating environment. If the collected wisdom suggests no value and possibly more failure points (not to mention cost), I suggest a tech savy member initiate a on-line petition that can be presented to the feds and put an end to this once and for all.

Bevan

Bevan: I found that an Andair Gascolator is suitable for FI, is cheaper than a filter and easier to clean. Plus, it traps water and can be sumped before flight.

I have one in my HRII, after the fuel selector. Not the low point of the system, but in a tail dragger, all of the water tends to settle at the wing drain location.

Don't sweat the small stuff... install it and move on!

If you wan't to complain about useless Canadian regulations, start with the passenger warning placard, in both official languages. You may need to install a subpanel just for the placard!

Vern

Rob, I'm not sure I understand your question. On the RV's, the lowest point of the fuel system is at the tank drains, so the water comes out there. The fuel injection setup per the Vans design includes a large filter near the boost pump, so the grit comes out there.
The only problem is that grit doesn't "come out" of a filter. It stays in the filter. Sure, it's out of your engine, but that's one section of the filter that can't pass fuel anymore. Over time, that filter will continue to clog and restrict flow further. In normal operation, you'll catch this when you replace your filter at whatever the prescribed interval is. If you're unlucky, you'll get a lump of crud in your tank that doesn't get picked up by the low-point drains. That lump could suddenly choke the flow below a point that your engine will keep running.

The gascolator, on the other hand, is designed to partially self-clean during use, and is orders of magnitude less likely to clog suddenly as a result. That's why I want one. Thankfully, the builder of the -6 I just bought, despite being in the US where a gascolator isn't required, installed one anyway. That will save time during my import inspection.

cleanable filter

I understand that the filter that Vans sells for the FI setup has a cleanable element. That's to say that it's dissassembled and it's fine screen washed out. I haven't taken mine apart yet so anyone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Bevan

Back