What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Annual New Year's Day Lunch at Big Bear!

rvmills

Well Known Member
Who's up for Big Bear on New Year's Day!?!?

Been talking to Paul and Louise off-line about the possibility of getting together for another NYD Lunch at the Barnstorm Cafe at Big Bear Airport (L35). We are all game, but weather seems to be trying to throw a wrench into the planning.

However, just in case Mother Nature decides to cooperate, we'd like to announce plans to gather as many RVers, Rocketeers, and all comers in the beautiful, pristine and fun-to-fly-to mountain/lakeside getaway that Big Bear is. Good grub at the cafe too! Bring a jacket, as it's purty cold up there too! (5800' long runway at 6700' MSL...gas is $3.88 a gallon, and sometimes they have really cheap specials on fuel! And where else can you get a ball cap that has a biplane on it and the acronym BBAD...Big Bear Airport District!)

Here's the caveat(s):
1. Paul and Louise are on the other side of the weather system that is in Tejas right now, and Paul has to be back to work at the control panel on Monday. Weather needs to cooperate quickly for them to be able to make the trip.

2. Greg Arehart is on the other side of that system in Dallas on an RV-9A borne family visit...but if the weather cooperates, he and Julia will return to Reno via Big Bear.

3. I missed a small wx window to get out of Reno today, but will try again tomorrow. I have to be in LA to take the HAM exam tomorrow evening (no tests in NV for over a month, this one is close to the In-Laws, and I want to play with my new APRS!). Will jumpseat down if the weather stays funky, but may come back up to get the RV on the 31st to make the Big Bear trek, wx permitting.

OK, long enough story! Last year was a great time, we had several planes, and some really nice folks there! We're going to try to make this a bit of an annual tradition, and like Paul said, "whether we can be there ourselves or not". So anyone that can keep it alive...c'mon up!

Here are a couple pics from last year:

The approach to runway 26:
adlunch26approach.jpg

Some of the gang checking out Mikey:
adlunchmikey.jpg

In the FBO after a great meal:
adlunchofficegroup.jpg

Hopefully we'll get another big group up there on 1/1/10! Please chime in if you're game, and we'll update our progress and plans as the week plays out.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Snowmakers

Still 50/50 for us here from Houston, but if we don't make it, we'll be with you in spirit!

Let's see, last year, big Bear was digging out from a 48" snow. This year, we went to Minneosta, and the Midwest had a 24" blizzard. Uhh....anyone want snow bad enough for us to come visit?!:eek:

You oughta join the gang at Laughlin instead. That's where I'd be going if I hadn't precommitted to Sedona. (And, by the way, plan these things farther in advance so I can precommit to an RV gathering instead, next time... :()

Still 50/50 for us here from Houston, but if we don't make it, we'll be with you in spirit!

Let's see, last year, big Bear was digging out from a 48" snow. This year, we went to Minneosta, and the Midwest had a 24" blizzard. Uhh....anyone want snow bad enough for us to come visit?!:eek:

Too funny...Val and Mikey, aka Snowmakers! Well, the Tahoe resorts can always use another good dump...you plannning another visit to check out Dayton, NV? ;)

You oughta join the gang at Laughlin instead. That's where I'd be going if I hadn't precommitted to Sedona. (And, by the way, plan these things farther in advance so I can precommit to an RV gathering instead, next time... :()

Patrick, you're right. Shoulda started this one earlier. Haven't seen any gouge on Laughlin, but I remember some folks do go there too. Sedona will be nice, too. I lived in Flag in '93, flew part-time corporate and air-ambulance (I'm sure you know the PWC Twotter and the FMC King-Airs). Beautiful part of the country (gotta get back there for a visit)...and have fun in the red-rocks!

Paul, whaddya say...should we announce the "Third First Annual NYD Big Bear Lunch" for 1/1/11? :D

OBTW, looking like a jumpseat down and back, and an RV flight tomorrow...gotta get that wx outta NV and CA. How's it look in TX?

Still workin' to make the Second First Annual NYD BB Lunch happen!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Laughlin

The Laughlin deal has been going on for more years than I've been involved in the RV World. Great fun, missed last year.

Usually a significant group from CA and AZ. Don't know the numbers right now but looks good.

Weather might be a little easier to Laughlin. The 3 day looks good.

Paul, whaddya say...should we announce the "Third First Annual NYD Big Bear Lunch" for 1/1/11? :D

OBTW, looking like a jumpseat down and back, and an RV flight tomorrow...gotta get that wx outta NV and CA. How's it look in TX?

Definitley announce next year's!

We just took a last look at our schedule, the family's schedule, and the Wx, and decided we'll stay on this side of the great divide for New Year's.:(

Ya'll have fun at BB, Laughline, Sedona, or wherever you end up folks - we'll be closer to the left coast in a few years.

I just arrived in Agua Dulce, CA with the RV, and Greg and Julia Arehart are in Blythe, CA. We plan to head to Big Bear tomorrow to keep the tradition alive...so anyone that would like to join us, please c'mon up!

Paul, roger the need to stay close to the ranch...we'll say hi to the BBAD gang for ya, and give it a try for a big boondoggle next year! (We're sure to get more folks out for it when Louise is there, right! :)

Anyone who's game, head on up to Big Bear (L35)!

Cheers,
Bob

Happy New Year to you guys, have a great time. While I'm at it, same to all the RVers everywhere.

Happy New Year to you guys, have a great time. While I'm at it, same to all the RVers everywhere.

Right back atchya, Patrick! And Happy New Year to the VAF gang and gatherings everywhere...Sedona, Laughlin..."way down in Coca-mo" (OK a little Beach Boys to start the New Year!)

Definitley announce next year's!

Greg, Julia, my Father-in-Law and I will be at the Barnstorm Cafe at 11am today.

For next year, let's make it 1/1/11 @11!

Cheers & HNY!!
Bob

Last edited:
We had a small but nice gathering at the Barnstorm Cafe today up at Big Bear.

We launched from Agua Dulce, CA (L70). Nice little airport with a small office and a row of really nice hangars along the runway. I hear the once-a-month Sunday BBQ is a great time here!
nyd2010atbbl70.jpg

Approaching left downwind for RWY 26 at Big Bear (L35). Not quite a 45, due to the mountains off the right wing...a very cool place to fly into. Slowed way back to follow a Skyhawk in ;)
nyd2010atbbdownwind.jpg

Greg and Julia Arehart got there early and grabbed a table. My Father-in-Law Dick and and I showed up next, and we were joined by a new RV friend from Yucca Valley, Gordon V (VAF "Gordon", I believe).

We saw a couple other RV's come in and grab gas, and said hi as they did their quick turns. Here's a pic at the lunch table (L-R: Julia, Dick, me, Greg, Gordon):
nyd2010atbblunch.jpg

This RV was parked next to mine, but we didn't have the chance to meet the pilot(s). In the background is a nice T-28 owned by a retired Navy pilot, turns out we were in the same fighter squadron...just 12 years apart...small world!
nyd2010atbb2rvsandt28.jpg

Greg and Julia getting ready to launch for Reno-Stead in their bee-utiful RV-9A. This was the final pit stop on their XMAS-NYD adventure to Texas and back...some great stories over lunch!:
nyd2010atbbgj.jpg

Here's Gordon, strapped in and ready to launch in his RV-7A...with 42 hours on it! Gordon's a 90 year-young WWII B-24 pilot, and meeting him was definitely one of the highlights of the trip!
nyd2010atbbgordon.jpg

Lot's of fun, and a beautiful day all-around. Wishing everyone a happy, safe and prosperous 2010!

Oh, and this is the 364.5 day heads-up on the Third "First" Annual New Years Day RV Lunch at Big Bear! 1/1/11, 1100 (PST)! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Big Bear

This RV was parked next to mine, but we didn't have the chance to meet the pilot(s).

My fault Bob, I ran into some friends and failed to "work the room" before everyone left.

See you there on 01-01-11 at 11!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back