What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with gear train!!!!

ddurakovich

Well Known Member
Thinking all along I've been doing the right thing rebuilding this O-360 myself(OK, crank was red tagged, that was a no brainer, as well as Mattituck rejecting my cylinders, 4 new ones, another no brainer):

Case overhauled and line bored,
Cam and followers overhauled,
Thanks to Mahlon for the lead on POB #4,
Silk thread from Mattituck,
Everything new that Lycoming says should be,
Helped put one together at Oshkosh last year (2004, Mattituck guys did a nice job),
bought the video, and watched it NUMEROUS times,

and I'm ready to go.

Almost.....

Seems that all of the alignment marks on the various gears came off in the wash? Barely see one on the crank gear so I'm not really sure it's there or I'm wishing, nothing to speak of at all on the cam gear (removeable gear, floppy pinned tach shaft), and the idler gear is as smooth as a baby's butt!

I'm just not inclined at this point to buy $$$$$ of gears just because someone ran them through the wash on the hot cycle and the colors ran (yeah, I know that's not what happened, but if I don't make light of it at this point.....)!

Anybody out there that has their gears loose at this point and can give me some teeth counts (with the appropriate reference points of course) for the various gears?

Thanks,

Dave

Gear markings

Dave, The gears should be stamped with a O or two Os. You should be able to locate the Os by using a magnifying glass and a bright light. When you locate the Os take a felt tip pin and mark them so you can see to install them on the engine.
Good luck, Robbie
www.attawayair.com

Dave,
The gear teeth should be engraved not marked with ink. Look carefully at the gear teeth of the gears involved. Although not specifically for your purpose this web link shows the 4-cylinder engine gear train and if you can't find the marks you will be able to set the engine up by mimicking this picture. Pay no attention to the fade timing gear on the lower right side of the case.
http://www.fadec.com/pdfs/Lyc_IOF_360_Gear_Install.jpg
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Dave,

Here is a picture of the gears from my engine. The gear on the left is the new one with the cam lobe to drive the oil pump and the gear on the right is the one it replaces.

Robbie, I appreciate your response, but bright light and a magnifying glass only confirmed that the mark on the crank gear was in fact a real mark and not my imagination! The idler gear was so devoid of markings, if I were a paranoid person........... On the other hand, when I disassembled the cam gear, lo and behold, the mark was under the oil slinger and could probably been identified by a blind man! Me bad.....

Mahlon, appreciate the link. I was able to confirm that the mark on the crank gear was in fact real, and the distance between the marks on the idler gear.

Bill, that picture again confirmed the distance between the marks on the idler gear, and their position relative to the cam (fuel pump) lobe, although I don't think that needs to be indexed, but why not.

I appreciate all of your responses, it's nice to know that as builders were not islands, and do have a real community to rely on!

Thanks again,

Dave

Back