What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv Oil Change

lawrence

Well Known Member
i have several quarts of aeroshell 15-50 semisynthetic oil.but it has been on the shelf for 10-12 years. this have a shelf life? anyone ever use oil that has been on the shelf this long? ----thanks---

I would ask Shell. I'm sure they have an e-mail site to field questions. My guess it might be OK, but newer oil may have improvemnts in additives. Best to ask the MFG.

Roberta

lawrence said:
i have several quarts of aeroshell 15-50 semisynthetic oil.but it has been on the shelf for 10-12 years. this have a shelf life? anyone ever use oil that has been on the shelf this long? ----thanks---

I don't know anything specific about aeroshell semisynthetic. A good rule of thumb, though, is 3 years...maybe 5. If you want to push it after that, you need to get the specific shelf life from the company and worry about how it was stored over those 10-12 years....even then 10 years sounds excessive. I'd just throw it in my lawn tractor, or throw it out (or put it to non-engine related use like lubbing you gas cap gaskets, or something mundane like that).

edit: here's a link to aeroshell's product data sheets. For your oil, it says prolonged storage is okay (whatever prolonged means) as long as it's stored and handled properly. Doesn't say how to store and handle it properly, though :)
good luck
http://www.shell.com/home/aviation-en/html/iwgen/app_profile/aeroshellbook2003.html

Last edited:
Back