What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new pictures of rv-12 under construction

Falling behind?

Vans is behind the curve with respect to market share within the Sport Plane domain. I, and many others, sincerely hope that Vans is able to catch up.

Personally, I'd like to see the RV-12 by the time Oshkosh rolls around. Don't know if Van's can pull it off, but we can hope...

I'll be ready to "pull the trigger" on a purchase, and right now the 601xl is the leading candidate. But I'd give the RV-12 serious consideration.

I'm not getting any younger...

- Patrick

I'm 55 and have some high blood pressure issues. It is always in the back of my mind about whether or not I'll be able to fly my RV-9A after all this work is done. I feel fine now and don't see any problem passing a third class medical but I dread going and getting a physical because of the added pressure of passing it now that I'm building a $70,000-$90,000 plane and the physical has complete control over my ability to fly when I'm finished. My blood pressure will probably go through the roof when I get to the doctors office. My ME is a pilot too (Bonanza Driver) and I am going to talk to him about getting a pre-checkup to make sure everything is OK before I get the official exam. That way I won't screw up my eligibility to fly sport pilot if there is a problem. I have checked on this pre-exam and there is nothing illegal about doing that. If I'm really not physically fit to fly in my ME's eyes then I will accept that but I don't want a case of white coat syndrome to screw it up either.

Hey Jim,
As one over-50 9A builder to another, and in case you don't know about it, I'll pass this on. There is an FAA form (can't recall the number) which your primary care physician can fill out to verify that your blood pressure is controlled (which I certainly hope it is!). The local ME has no problem issuing my third class as long as I have this form ready for him. If you haven't done so, I would advise you to take this step. Your ME should have the form, or be able to get it.
Looking forward to a two ship formation flight in our 9As someday!

Ben R.
RV-9A #90217
Drilling up the main longerons

Don't be afraid....

Jim,

I am not a doctor, nor do I attempt to play one on TV, but......coming from a family with a history of hypertension, I knew that I was going to have to deal with the high blood-presssure deal. And since I was always getting checked out before hazardous testing (presssure chambers, suit runs, dives) at work, I was always having to tap dance around the truth by claiming that I had "white coat syndrom", or that I was just excited about getting to do something fun that day. I was deathly afraid that when the Docs diagnosed me as having high blood pressure, my flying days would be numbered (along with my console job, which also requires a medical!).

A couple of years ago, I had reached a frustration point with several parts of my life such that I was having minor chest pains, and finally decided "the heck with it!" I didn't want to have a stroke, and the FAA was making (certified) airplane ownership less and less enjoyable all the time. I went to a doctor (not my surgeon), and said "Treat me for high blood pressure!" A week later, with proper medication, I was right where I needed to be.

At that point, I went to my favorite "off the record" flight surgeon, and told him the story. His response?

"Paul, you IDIOT!!! We don't care if you are hypertensive, as long as it is controlled!!! You shoudl have come to us years ago, gotten on medication, and stopped tyring to fool us and shorten your life in the process...."

I know that for many of you, this story is irrelivent. But I'll tell you what, if I convince just one or two people to go take care of themselves, I don't mind telling everyone how foolish I was....

(Oh... I still get a bit elevated on "test days" - but now I KNOW it's just because I am excited about getting out of the office!). :)

Paul

Remember, the RV-12 will still have to be a 51% kit. To qualify as an E-LSA kit of less than 51%, the manufacturer would first have to certify the exact same configuration as an S-LSA, which, last time I heard, Van has no intention of doing. Therefore the -12 will be an amateur-built aircraft that can be flown by a sport pilot.
At present there are no E-LSA kits available.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip about the form. I will get my cardiologist to fill out the form for me before I go for my exam. That eases my mind.
I have been on blood pressure medicine for ten years and have no trouble keeping it in check. It just seems to spike when I'm at the ME's office. Of course I don't check my blood pressure when I'm really ticked off either. ;)

AOPA Medical

If you are a member of AOPA they have great aviation medical information on there web site. They also have a form for those with high blood preseure.

After doing some reading on the FAA's website I found I have nothing to worry about. The only disqualification is a reading over 155 over 95. Even if it is you just have to submit a letter or form from your primary care physician or cardiologist stating your blood pressure is lower than that when taken twice a day for three days in a normal situation then you still pass. I will go armed with paperwork and shouldn't have a problem. Who knows, my blood pressure might even be more normal if I am not paranoid about it. :)

Go Prepared!

Jim,
Many of us know EXACTLY what you're going through. I can tell you from experience that if you go to your family doctor, have him/her take three reading over the coure of a week or two and then issue a letter indicating your medication and controlled readings, you'll not have a problem. I didn't know about the form but, will use that next time. I also believe the AME's know, at least somewhat, how inportant flying is to you and they'll work with you. That being said however, I would not go to the AME for a "pre-physical" your family doctor is a better choice.
Take care and I'll hope to see you at a fly-in this year,
Ron Drake
N592RS - Flying

Question on Certification

Mel said:
Remember, the RV-12 will still have to be a 51% kit. To qualify as an E-LSA kit of less than 51%, the manufacturer would first have to certify the exact same configuration as an S-LSA, which, last time I heard, Van has no intention of doing. Therefore the -12 will be an amateur-built aircraft that can be flown by a sport pilot.
At present there are no E-LSA kits available.
Mel...DAR

Mel,
Could you tell me what would be involved in getting an RV-12 certified as E-LSA which would use a BMW R-1200 motorcycle engine as a powerplant instead of the Rotax 912ULS. Both engines are 100 HP and weigh very close to eachother. If you're not sure, who could I write to find out?
Thanks,
Ron Drake

I was thinking along the lines of a Corvair engine, like what is commonly used in the Zodiac's.

The latest issue of Kitplanes has the price of a new Rotax at - are you ready for this - $24,000 :eek:

A new Rotax simply is not a viable option for guys like me... :(

- Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That $24k price sounds like a 914, which is the turbocharged engine. The 912ULS is about $9k less. The 4 stroke Rotax is a really nice, light, and well proven engine. FWIW, I weighed all the engine related items that were on a Kolb Slingshot, except the prop, and fluids. The total weight was 159 lbs for 100 (marketing) HP. Pretty remarkable, but not cheap.

We can always hope there are other alternatives for engines, but as with the rest of the RV world, nothing has really beaten the factory solution yet. There is hope on the rotary front though, as a few folks are working on single rotor engines in the 912 weight, and power range. Time will tell.

The RV-12 could only be certified as a 51% amateur-built, period. It can still be flown by a sport pilot because it conforms to the light-sport rules. There are 2 kinds of E-LSA. Those kit manufactured as an E-LSA kit (must first certify same configuration as a S-LSA) Those airplanes cannot be modified. They must conform to the original configuration. i.e. same engine, same everything. The other E-LSA is a conversion of an ultralight type that was built before September 1, 2004. The -12 does not qualify under either of these catagories.
I worked quite extensively with the FAA on the training program for DARs for Light-Sport Aircraft. There are few DARs qualified on LSA at this time. If you want to learn more about E-SLA go to the FAA website and down load 8130.2F. Go to Section 8, paragraph 141. This will define E-SLA.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
Mel said:
The RV-12 could only be certified as a 51% amateur-built, period. It can still be flown by a sport pilot because it conforms to the light-sport rules. There are 2 kinds of E-LSA. Those kit manufactured as an E-LSA kit (must first certify same configuration as a S-LSA) Those airplanes cannot be modified. They must conform to the original configuration. i.e. same engine, same everything. The other E-LSA is a conversion of an ultralight type that was built before September 1, 2004. The -12 does not qualify under either of these catagories.
I worked quite extensively with the FAA on the training program for DARs for Light-Sport Aircraft. There are few DARs qualified on LSA at this time. If you want to learn more about E-SLA go to the FAA website and down load 8130.2F. Go to Section 8, paragraph 141. This will define E-SLA.
Mel...DAR

can owner/pilots maintain all of the above or if not... what can be

owner-maintained

owner-maintained - owner-modified

thanks

John

I'll be ready to "pull the trigger" on a purchase, and right now the 601xl is the leading candidate. But I'd give the RV-12 serious consideration.

Too early to speculate as to why, but did you see that a 601xl crashed last month? It was in the pattern at an airport in CA. Witnesses said its wings folded up and then back before it crashed. They did not indicate it was doing anything other than normal flying in the pattern - i.e., no aerobatics.

I considered the 601, but for the money, it seems kind of cheap looking.

Any airplane certificated as amateur-built, normal category or anything else does not change in any way when flown by a sport-pilot. i.e., an amateur-built aircraft may be maintained by anyone. The annual condition inspection can be signed off by the builder (provided he has obtained the repairman certificate for that airplane).
I will be happy to discuss any of these issues if you would like to give me a call.
Mel...DAR 972-784-7544

mdredmond said:
Too early to speculate as to why, but did you see that a 601xl crashed last month?
Yes, that was in Oakdale, CA. You can read about it here.

I don't know what to make of the witness on the ground who said the wings folded. Other witnesses say they heard the engine "sputter". NTSB report isn't final yet so nobody really knows.

There are a lot of Zodiacs and similar metal-winged planes out there. Has anyone else heard anything about "wings folding" like this....?

- Patrick

Back