What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone out there build circuit boards?

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
When I installed my GRT EIS-4000 I struggled to find an elegant solution to wiring resistors between the 4.8 v power from the EIS to the Aux signal lines. I thought I could make something using a terminal strip and fast-on tabs that would allow troubleshooting and reliable operation and future modifications to add or change aux components.

Here is a picture of what I came up with.

513733912_rDF8r-M.jpg

It met the requirements stated above, but looks a little sloppy.

I have been using the EIS now for 100 hours of operation and for fun I've been letting my brain work on better solutions. I think I have one but need some help with someone who can make a circuit board for me. The concept is to use a small pc board with either board mounted DB-9 connectors or Fast-on tabs mounted on it. The board would have holes and pads for insertion and soldering the correct resistors in place for each aux channel.

Here is a schematic I made with "ExpressSCH." Picture this with the EIS wires connected on the left and wires to the sensors (amps, fuel pressure etc.) on the right.

713736931_7W5eh-M.jpg

If the circuit board could be made small enough perhaps the wire connections could be made through soldered connectors and the whole assembly covered with a heat-shrink covering. Or the board could be mounted in a small project box and mounted on the airframe.

Is there anyone out there that dabbles in this sort of project that could help me try some things out? If so contact me at my email address and we'll set a time to discuss by phone. [email protected]

Thanks,

John

Express PCB

John,

Check out ExpressPCB. You might even have it on your computer because I think it comes as a bundled package with ExpressSCH. If not, you can download it from ExpressPCB.com. Once you have the software, you can layout a board very easily. It has a lot of components and is very easy to layout the traces. Use the online help for sizing the traces based on amperage they'll carry. Once the board is designed, you can order them from within the software. If you can keep the board within a 3.8" x 2.5" size, you can order their Miniboard or Miniboard Pro which cost $51 or $75 dollars respectively for 3 boards. The Pro board includes a silkscreen layer and soldermask which will give the board a professional look.

I've used ExpressPCB on numerous occasions with good results. Just be sure to check your layout before submitting the board because boards are hard to fix after the fact, been there done that.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Express PCB is the way to go if that's what you want.

However, it would be much easier to use a solder-cup DB-25 connector, with the resistors soldered in place on connector pins. Then, it's a simple matter to wire everything up to a mating connector.

I would just solder one end of each resistor to a pin, and the free ends can be bussed together, then connected to another pin (which would be your bias voltage pin). You can do a lot with type of arrangement, and use smaller or larger connectors as required.

Saves the $60 from ExpressPCB.

Vern

..... it would be much easier to use a solder-cup DB-25 connector, with the resistors soldered in place on connector pins. Then, it's a simple matter to wire everything up to a mating connector.

I would just solder one end of each resistor to a pin, and the free ends can be bussed together, then connected to another pin (which would be your bias voltage pin). You can do a lot with type of arrangement, and use smaller or larger connectors as required....

I did it this way using a quality DB style connector with gold plated machined sockets. I like the flexability and the ability to disconnect for circuit testing purposes.

Doug

Back