What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator from Mattituck

ericwolf

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago, I ordered an IOF-360 from Mattituck. While I'm waiting for it to get here, I'm wondering if I also buy thier 55A Internally Regulated alternator for $240. Does anybody have experience with these? Are they automotive units?

What to ask them

Ask them if it is NEW, all genuine Nippon Denso (ND) alternator. Get the model number and I will look up the info on it. If it is a rebuild I would pass on it.

The next question is to ask yourself how many amps do you need? The alternator Kit Niagara sells is good but uses the 40 amp ND alternator. (Note: 40 amps is nominal, it can and does put out more amps, say 45 amps at normal or high RPMs. In fact the 55 amp ND alternator is really a nominally rated 50 amp unit.)

I know the other engine sellers like aero sport power, offer the 40 amp ND alternator with internal regulation. I can speak to that and say it is a great alternator and will give very good service. I believe they get there alternators from Niagara Airparts, which I can recommend.

If Mattituck is offering 55 amps I am a little suspicious if it is new. The fact is the 55 amp is typical of the ND alternator that Van sells, which has an original application of the Suzuki Samurai/ Geo Metro. The 55 amp alternator is a fine alternator and very similar to the new 40 amp unit Niagara sells. However ND does not make the 55 amp units NEW anymore, so typically when you buy them they are rebuilds. I AM NOT a fan of rebuilds because of the wide variation in quality. The Niagara units are new genuine ND alternators because they are still made for industrial applications.

A rebuild can be OK, typically they are less then great. I think Van's has suffered a failure rate with their 55 amp rebuilt ND units that are way higher than normal in my opinion. There are 1000's ND alternators in experimental with 1000's of hours each with no problem. This does not include the million of cars and industrial equipment like the folk lifts and tractors that go 24/7 all over the world. To be fair builders do some weird stuff, both in the way they wire their alternator and operate it. Also the so called Crow Bar or over-voltage that Aeroelectric promotes is known to damage the alternator. Van does not warranty their alternator if you add on a crow-bar or OV module.

Now you can buy new 55 amp ND clone alternators! Yes just like Lycoming engines clones, the auto electric after market is manufacturing all new alternators that are clones of new ND alternators, like the so called 55 amp unit. The reason is cores are getting older and harder to get, so re-builders are finding that taking a old unit apart, cleaning and reassembly with new parts is more expensive than just making the who thing new. The after market makes every part from case, rotor, stator, regulator and brushes, so making a new clone unit is easy. It is just cheaper to make it new than rebuild with an old tired core.

I did some research and found places to by these new clones and they cost about $150. By the time you add the brackets you are close to $200, plus the time and shipping. So Mattituck is offering their kit for $240 with a new alternator I would go for it. George

Last edited:
The experimental use alternator we sell is new. It comes with mounting brackets, hardware and a drive belt.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

I have a Mattituck IO 360 with this alternator. I seem to have misplaced the diagrams that came with the alternator. If I remember correctly, only the green wire is used - to connect to 12V, the red is not used.

Can anyone that can find their diagram verify this for me? Thanks

Larry

Back