What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose headset use in an RV

zilik

VAF Moderator
While the Halo was gone I reverted to my old Bose X headset (normally used for passengers). The noise seemed worse than with the Halo, particularly on takeoff when the electronic noise canceling doesn't quite keep up. The main advantage of the Bose is that its quicker to put on.

Rosie let me borrow his Bose (he was driving to Boulder City) on a trip from Rosamand, CA to Boulder City, NV. The Bose were comfortable (and almost as quiet as my halo's) but the mike picked up a lot more cockpit noise when talking over the intercom or transmitting on the radio. Long story short, I'm not going to run out and buy a set of Bose headsets.

From Rosie: I called Bose on this and recommend using a leather Mic Muff to solve the problem ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bose has another mic that fixes this!

Rosie let me borrow his Bose (he was driving to Boulder City) on a trip from Rosamand, CA to Boulder City, NV. The Bose were comfortable (and almost as quiet as my halo's) but the mike picked up a lot more cockpit noise when talking over the intercom or transmitting on the radio. Long story short, I'm not going to run out and buy a set of Bose headsets.

Gary,

I sent my Bose back to be repaired because the mics were going into oscillations and doing exactly what you are describing. The noise level in the RV is to high for the mics that come standard on their headsets causing the problem. They changed the mic out for another that is a little less hot and since receiving my headset back the problem is cured 100%. There was no charge for the upgrade, or in reality downgrade that they installed. ;)

From Rosie: I called Bose on this and they do not change out the mics anymore. They say that using a leather Mic Muff will also solve the problem ;-)

Update from Rosie on 10/6/09: The Mic Muff did NOT help so I called Bose and am sending them back the headset to change out the microphone. I too agree with Gary Zilik there is too much noise in my cockpit for the Bose. I'm still very happy with 3050+ hours on my original Lightspeed 20XLs.

Update from Rosie on 10/15/09: Headset will be here on 10/19/09. Not sure yet what Bose did for work on it.

Update from Rosie on 10/28/09: I got it back with a new boom, flew with it, and I prefer my Lightspeed headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back