What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of Aircraft Extras Low Fuel Warning

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
This past weekend we installed the Aircraft Extras Low Fuel Warning sensors on the wings. To do this I first had to decide when I wanted it to go off. I decided to go with 12 gallons of gas or 6 gallons in each wing. This should give me 45 minutes of flight. The main purpose of this system is to remind me in case the float gets stuck or some other malfunction with the main system.

Here is a shot of the box that controls the system.

49877448-M.jpg

49877451-M-1.jpg

We put the wing on a 3.5 degree angle and filled it with 5 gallons of water. The water was almost pooring out of the float hole so we were unable to go anymore. We were able to see where 6 gallons would be though but unfortunatly we would not be able to drill the hole there because it would have put it right on the round bends that stiffen the rib. We had to drll the holes at 5.5 gallons.
49877455-M.jpg

50698603-M.jpg

Last edited:
Installation of Aircraft Extras Low Fuel Warning (Continued)

The hole is centered between the two stiffener bends in the rib and is placed 3.25" from the BOTTOM of the rib (this picture is upside down because this picture came off the second wing we did and it was upside down on the table) As you might be able to see, the ruler was placed on top of a rivet.

This should give you 5.5 gallons if you choose to put this in.

50698594-M-1.jpg

50698584-M.jpg

Back