What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipaq 4705 w/ anywhere map & WX XM?? anyone?

JCN247DE

Well Known Member
I'm looking at the Anywhere map w/ WX XM on an ipaq 4705... anyone have any comments on the system and your impressions of use?

Thanks,

Jeff

I was a long time user of Anywhere Map. I've finally given up on in. The ipaq was too small for my 40 yr old eyes. The tablets were too big to fit in my RV-4. They are nice products with a huge user base. They have their own set of forums for helping each other out. Also, I never knew when my ipaq would work or not. It worked all the way to and from OSH but after I got back and wanted to go on a local flight, it drained itself somehow and was completely useless until I got it charged. The software itself has a lot of great features. I really wish I could use it. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer.

I am a long time user of Anywhere Map (IPaq 3670) and although I like it in my C-182 I am not sure I would buy it again considering what is currently available. The size is small but usable. If you are planning on using it only with an RV I would give serious consideration to going with a built in system, which is not an option with a certirfied aircraft.

I am currently building an RV-10 with a three screen GRT system using the GRT Sport as the backup system, and no vacumn system. I also plan on keeping my Anywhere Ipaq just to carry along in a side pocket as a self contained backup system in case of total electrical failure. One disadvange of my Ipaq is that I have to keep it plugged in at all times otherwise it will drain the power down and not be usable. It is not a real big problem as I take it home with me after each flight and plug it in. If I am travelling away overnight I just plug the IPaq into a car charger going and coming to the airport.

If I was flying only a certifed airplane I would go with the Anywhere Map Raven System with weather over the IPaq.

Russ Daves
N710RV (RV-10 on main gear about to install engine)
N65RV (RV-6A sold)
N??RV (RV-8 quick build stage on hold until RV-10 is flown)

Anywhere map

I have just purchased the software (without the WX at this point) as I already have a PDA (Dell Axim 51v) but have not yet tried it in action, I can say however that it installed fine and seems to work as advertised. I have a Haicom compact flash GPS that comes with a bluetooth slipper and cables to power the PDA and the GPS so I can mount the GPS in the PDA, or connect wirelessly via bluetooth or have 12v power to both units.
A PDA seems to provide lots of flexibility as I have also added E6B software and co-pilot/checklist software such that I have a lot of capability in one package.
The Dell screen is also about the same size as the 396 but with higher resolution.
As I do not plan to have full glass in my -7 my choices were something like this or the Garmin, so for $95 I figured not much to lose trying it out.
The new WM5 PDA's use non-volatile memory so you dont lose everything when the battery goes dead and the Dell has replacable batteries also.
With programs like mapopolis etc I can also use this on the road and in my boat so it seemed like a good solution and worth a try.
In my searching I found generaly good reviews from people who use the product and you can find a lot of information in their forums as mentioned above. Go to www.anywheremap.com and check under support.

Thanks - more feedback here

I appreciate your points. I went ahead and purchased the software w/WX after flying with a buddy who is using the newest offering with an HP IPAQ 4705. The system works great.

He flew and i played around with the system for 2.5 hrs in the plane. Very cool stuff! I'm sold.

Jeff

Back