What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Expensive torque wrenches

Avery (and their competitors) want $160 or more for most of their torque wrenches. But, my local tools store has an inch-pound wrench for $40. What does the extra money buy?

And is there a good article somewhere about owning & using these things? About all I know, so far, is not to drop them :eek:

Sears has them on sale occasionally for $60, so $160 definitely seems high.

Here's another tip: Reset it to zero when you're not using it.

Don, I can highly recommend K-D Tools torque wrench. It's less than 160 (which sounds high -- torque wrench is not an aviation tool, so why pay aviation prices? :)

As for K-D Tools -- friend says it's much nicer than the Sears one he has.. but it did cost a bit more.

I'd stay away from cheapos.. this is one of few precision tools and I'm looking for something made in the US. I didn't have much luck with those chinese made that HF sells for cheap.

Radomir said:
I'd stay away from cheapos.. this is one of few precision tools and I'm looking for something made in the US. I didn't have much luck with those chinese made that HF sells for cheap.

Could you be more specific about what's wrong with the cheapos?

Don Lindsay said:
Could you be more specific about what's wrong with the cheapos?

They tend to not be very accurate. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the Sears torque wrenches cannot be recalibrated. The higher end ones (I have a $180 matco, Snapon would cost even more) can be. I think for someone who is not going to be a building addict (IE your gonna build only one airplane) the Sears units will be fine. I'm an A&P by trade, so I have a LOT of expensive tools.

Torque Wrench

Don,
I bought and use the "Economy" torque wrench from Avery's $65. It works well. I also use a Snap-On Torque Wrench at work, the Averys unit works just as well. If I were using it every day, I would by Snap-On, for home use, go for the cheaper unit.

For me it's a peace of mind issue. My Snap-On 3/8" drive digital cost $300 on sale (normally $369). The total error per the test sheet was .1% at the low test torque, .2% at the middle and .1% at the top. The clicker type wrenches can work okay, but keep in mind that they are usually the most accurate in the center or their ranges and deviate at the low end and the top. The brand name ones (Mac, Snap-On, Matco) are usually 2-3% gauranteed. I've got two Craftsman's (1/2 and 3/8") and they definately aren't as accurate. A lot of the torquing I do is to a lower torque value and then an additional "angle torque". If the wrench is off by 10% at the low torque spec and then you finish with the angle torque, it should still only 2-3% off so the wrench isn't as critical.

The aviation digital wrenches from Snap-On are almost exactly double the cost of the automotive ones. The accuracy on the aviation wrenches is supposed to be .5-1%, and the automotive 1-2%. HOWEVER, if you look at the test sheets that come with the wrenches, you can pick and choose one that had tighter testing specs. That's what I did with mine. No reason to pay for the aviation wrench if the automotive one tests at tighter specs! Just got a new 1/2" drive yesterday (clicker type) and it tested at 1% all the way through the range which is good for a clicker.

The guys at work and I have tested some of the off brand wrenches against the name brands, and many of them are off by 15% or more on the low end of the scale. I personally don't feel this is accurate enough for me to build a plane by, so I'll use my digital for assembly. As with everything else, your mileage may vary... ;)

I torqued some of the early stuff with those lever type torque wrenches...cheapo. Later bought the Sears Craftsman model and checked everything. They were fine. I'm happy with the Sears model, though.

Most of the bolts get torqued to a range like 120-160 in-lb. That's a 33% range. Shoot for the middle and your wrench can have a 15% error with no problem. :D

One thing missing from this thread is the usable range on a given wrench. Most of the fasteners on our planes require very small torque values, but a few go pretty large. Finding a good wrench that'll acurately go down to 15 inch-pounds is tough.

Most small stuff in aircraft can be done by feel. If you are not comfortable with that, then two torque wrenches are almost a requirement. One will probably be a 1/4" drive 5-75 in/lb or thereabouts, and the other 3/8" drive 5-75 ft/lb (60-900 in/lb) or thereabouts. For general aviation, the clicker type are quite satisfactory, digital is overkill for the ranges I deal with.

We don't need no stinking snap wrenches...

Gent's,
I suggest you consider beam torque wrenches. They will be economical and plenty accurate, and precise, enough for the job. I've owned both beam and dial (which are a beam with a sector gear to drive the needle) wrenches for years. None covered the low end range needed for AN3/AN4 bolts so the search was on. I found a NOS Sturtevant Richmont DR200-1 beam wrench on ebay for $17.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4414035108&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

The seller had many advertised so maybe you can get one too.

I'd never heard of Sturtevant but I looked them up on the web and was well satisfied with the company history statement and the look of the their current product line.

http://www.srtorque.com/index.html

The wrench has a good quality fit and finish so I do recommend it if you can still get one.

Wow, I ALMOST mentioned the beam type in my previous post, but decided not to.

They work ok, but have a huge disadvantage if you are torquing in a tight spot where it is hard to read them. They do have their specific job uses which requires an A&P to have them... but for building an RV, I'd still go with a 5-75 ft/lb clicker.

My 2? (Plus the 4? from previous posts... this thread is getting expensive for me...)

Spruce has a torque screwdriver that has worked wondefully for me on almost all the 3's on my plane. It also works for #6 and #8 screws for the truly anal. It doesn't click, but rather "lets go" at the desired torque. It adjusts from 2 to 36 in-lbs in half lb increments and costs about 90 bucks. Very nice tool. P/N 12-14330.

Last edited:
bearair said:
For me it's a peace of mind issue. My Snap-On 3/8" drive digital cost $300 on sale (normally $369). The total error per the test sheet was .1% at the low test torque, .2% at the middle and .1% at the top.
The aviation digital wrenches from Snap-On are almost exactly double the cost of the automotive ones. The guys at work and I have tested some of the off brand wrenches against the name brands, and many of them are off by 15% or more on the low end of the scale. I personally don't feel this is accurate enough for me to build a plane by, so I'll use my digital for assembly. ;)
My hangar partner has that Snap-on digital. What a piece of work! It operates on 3 AA batteries, has a large digital display and is truly a "snap" to adjust for inch pounds, foot pounds, or newtons...whatever they are. It produces an audible beep and vibrates through the grip when you reach the programmed setting. Makes the common torque wrenches in my toolbox (widely available from the usual suspects) seem like junk. I am usually loath to borrow tools from anybody (to proud) but don't hesitate to borrow that bad boy. You are right about the accuracy. As a night shift A&P for Fedex he has it occasionally tested for calibration and to date, lab tests have merely validated its extreme accuracy. I felt very confident using it when I MOH'ed the 0-200 powering my C-150 this past summer. From now on, I will either continue to borrow his Snap-on or if need be, buy one to augment my builders tool box in support of the construction of the 8A. :D

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"
RV-8A empennage complete

Beam torque wrenches

Mr. Bill P.
You are correct on the beam torque wrench accuracy. As for The PA Strutevant Co., it went by the wayside in the mid to late 60s. Lee Strutevant is still around, and a long time personal friend. I still use beam wrenches, while my "clickers" are in constant need of adjustment. They ain't cheap either. One of our Sturtevants was purchased by my dad in the mid 50s. Still have it and still use it, and as Lee says, they are rarely ever more than 2% off. He's right.
T88
RV10

Back