What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Build Tips

rbregs

I read in Sport Aviation that Tony Spicer purchased RV-4 plans in preparation for building his RV-3B, citing the similar design/build geometry between the RV-3B and the RV-4.

Tony (and any other RV-3B builders) how much help were the RV-4 plans to building the RV-3B?

Any other tips for someone preparing to build an RV-3B who hasn't previously built an RV.

Thanks,

Bob

I seem to recall Randy Lervold (hope I got his name spelled correct) had a site.

Should be in the archives here, try searching.

Good luck.

EDIT___Go to post 4, Tony has the link.

Last edited:
I read in Sport Aviation that Tony Spicer purchased RV-4 plans in preparation for building his RV-3B, citing the similar design/build geometry between the RV-3B and the RV-4.

Tony (and any other RV-3B builders) how much help were the RV-4 plans to building the RV-3B?

Any other tips for someone preparing to build an RV-3B who hasn't previously built an RV.

Thanks,

Bob

Whats wrong with the RV3 plans?

First tip: go here http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/ and read every word, follow every link.

Second tip: You'll get no help from Van's. It's not that they don't want to help, they just don't have the expertise. If you enjoy figuring things out for yourself, you won't have any major problems.

Observation: The -3 was my first RV. I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but I'm persistent. And I had access to two RV-4 buds:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo/RV3BMiscellaneous#5142473665668121394

Hard to say if having a new set of -4 plans helped, but for sure it didn't hurt.

Tony

Thanks,
Bob
I had a set of RV-8 preview plans already (from a previous build) and bought a set of RV-4 preview plans as I started my -3B. I did refer to both the RV-4 and -8 plans occasionally to see if there was an already-manufactured part I could use, or just a better way of making something.

If this is your first RV the most important resource though is a previous RV builder in the flesh. The RV-3 documentation does not provide much SA (situational awareness) and an RV builder will know how all the assemblies go together. Tony had two previous RV-4 builders there on his airport which I'm sure was a tremendous resource for him. He had already built a metal airplane though too. Check out Tony and his crew, it's a great pic, they really do look like three little kids about to get in trouble, only older... ;-)

http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo/RV3BMiscellaneous#slideshow/5142473665668121394

I have already found that having another (well, actually two...) RV in the hangar where you're building is a god-send. Van does lots of things the same on every model. I was looking at how to do the aileron gap fairings at the hinges, for instance, and I just went and took a look under the -6's wing. It's almost as good as some web sites! ;)

I'm well into the fuselage of my RV-3B, and I second Tony's advice to carefully study Randy's website. I also recommend studying the construction photos posted by several other RV-3 builders (including Tony). Randy's site has links to several construction photo logs, and others can be found in the archives of this forum.

Other general advice is not to assume that the plans are always correct, or that the parts you get from Van's will always match the plans. The biggest challenge is visualizing how adjacent (or nearby) parts interact, and how that interaction affects exact dimensions, rivet layout, and construction sequencing. Just expect that you will make a few mistakes and sometimes need to backtrack. If you have doubts about your results, ask a Technical Counselor for a second (or third) opinion. Don't be reluctant to re-make any parts that don't meet your standards!

Part of the fun of building a -3B (or any other non-pre-punched RV) is the mental challenge of figuring out how to make the parts and put them together efficiently and accurately. I have previously built both a pre-punched RV-10 and a non-pre-punch RV-6A. Though I love the -10 for its performance and capability, the -6A and the -3B are more interesting to build because of the concentration and creativity they require.

Good luck!

- Dan Benua
EAA Technical Counselor
RV Repeat Offender

Thank You

Thanks to all who responded to my questions.

I have Randy's RV-3 Works website bookmarked as well as all of Tony Spicer's build and flight photographs, noting that Tony's photos include wing build, where Randy used a QB Wing.

I'm keenly aware of Randy's caution about building an RV-3B as a first RV project. Those same cautions were noted in a conversation that I had with RV-4 and RV-3B builder Richard Bentley.

Regards,

Bob

Find the best mentor you can

So far (about 30 hours in) I'm having a ball working on the -3B without a previous build. But, I have an excellent mentor who is building along side me....or across the wing stand. What fun last night as we each punched, drilled, and match drilled on our separate wings, helping each other out along the way. I wouldn't have a clue how to proceed if I didn't have an experienced builder right there at the start. (I expect that need for hovering help will become less critical as I get further down the road, but I sure need it right now.)

And further advice.... If you find a great mentor, consider marrying him/her! Building an RV with you mate beats watching TV on the couch just about any day/evening of the week. :D

Back