What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody been to the Bahamas lately?

mikkee1

Hi guys,

My squadron is deploying down to Key West, FL in February (from Cold Lake, Canada - and yes, it's friggin cold) and I'm debating whether to head over to the Bahamas for a weekend. Not in the Hornet, but in my RV-4. I declined the offer to take a jet down there in favour of stretching C-GJIP's legs.

I guess it seems ludicrous give up the opportunity to fly an F-18 the 2300nm, and instead enjoy the transit at 1/4 of the speed and 4 times the time across the length and breadth of a continent, VFR, in the middle of winter? I guess that kind of decision only makes sense to other RVers :) I've done the same distance every summer from Quebec to British Columbia, so I'm not too phased by the long distance. It's funny, I'm more pumped about the 77nm transit from Florida to the Bahamas!!

Sadly, I once bought a great "Flying to the Bahamas" package from Sporty's several years ago, but I chucked it during my last move...As Mom used to say, "nice kid, not too bright though."

Can anyone tell me what administrative hoops I need to jump through, cool places to stay, etc? I looked through the Flying the Carribbean Forum, but it seems a little dated...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
RV-4 C-GJIP

Rosie (Paul Rosales) did a great write up on his trip in SPORT AVIATION. I think it was within the past year's issues (April 2005). I also think he's got it on a website somewhere. Definitely recommend it if you can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check www.banyanair.com

And look for Bahamas Travel assistance

I am heading down to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow, and happened across their site looking for an FBO. I noticed they have a section devoted to flying to the Bahamas.

Lists required docs, frequencies etc...

I went ahead and requested the free Bahamas Travel Kit.

James

Hummm the F-18 today or the RV-4, what to do?

mikkee1 said:
Hi guys,

My squadron is deploying down to Key West, FL in February (from Cold Lake, Canada - and yes, it's friggin cold) and I'm debating whether to head over to the Bahamas for a weekend. Not in the Hornet, but in my RV-4. I declined the offer to take a jet down there in favour of stretching C-GJIP's legs. Mike
RV-4 C-GJIP
"Hey Guys I am just jetting around in my F-18 and wintering in Florida and can't decide if I want to fly my RV-4 for the weekend" I hate you. :D (mad wild jealousy speaking :rolleyes:) ) Remember that is the Bramuda Tri-angle and you are Canadian. (I don't know what that means but I am still jealous). :D Fly safe Merry Christmas. George

Too funny George!

I guess it's like anything, if you do it a lot it becomes routine. I love my RV because there is no painfully-long brief, start, and debrief. No rules and orders and wingmen to watch over. I just get in and go where I want, whenever I want. That kind of freedom is something I truly cherish, and is what drives all of us skyward. I traded in a fiancee for my RV, and it was the best decision I ever made!

Happy RVing all!

Mike
RV-4 C-GJIP

At OSH they were handing out DVDs on how to fly to the Bahamas (and what to do when you get there). If you want, I can dig one out and send it to you. Send me your address.

It's actually pretty painless :D You can start with Bahamas Flying and Customs then apply for your Customs Decal. Here's an International Flight Plan PDF you'll need to file before your flight. I'll try to scan a completed flight plan for you this week. The RV will need this waiver, Airworthiness & Registration certs and 12" N numbers. We also flew wearing these life vests. Depending on where you'll tie-down, I used three, 18" rebar stakes (with a big washer welded to it) and a big hammer for use on the HARD corral ground. Make sure you have your Passport, Pilot's License and current Medical Certificate with you. That's about it, and I'll add to this if I it comes to me later. Have fun! Rosie

Back