What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Listening and Decoding in C#

sgordon

For you APRS junkies / C# coders out there, I have published a project that listens for and decodes APRS packets into manageable data structures. As a proof of concept, I plugged the data into Bing Maps and created a cool little WPF application that will show position data real time. I had fun writing it and I'd like to share it with anyone who may be interested in programming with APRS data.

http://aprs.codeplex.com/

The APRS project contains the core APRS listening and decoding logic. The AprsTracker project is a WPF desktop application that uses the decoded APRS data to show real time positions on Bing Maps (much like aprs.fi).

Please feel free to download, use, and abuse. Keep in mind that this is a pet project and wasn't written for commercial use. I currently only support tracking aircraft (easy to expand, but didn't want to spend the time), and there is a little more work to do in the decoder (not decoding comments or date/time of packets that include a timestamp). There is also a known issue with the Bing Maps library that will throw an exception under certain circumstances (either closing the application, or when coming back from power save mode).

Back