What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Alternative Engine

islandmonkey

Well Known Member
I was reading the thread about New LSA Engines posted in in the RV-12 forum. To be honest I could not understand why people would want to put a different engine into the 12 thats 40lbs heavier and the same HP. However that is not the reason for this post. Pilottonny from Belgium posted some links to other European manufactured aviation engines. One of these caught my eye:

http://www.limflug.de/files/pdf/DS-L2400DTX.pdf

I used to have a share in a Grob 109B motor glider, G-BLUV:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlowirish/3556738787/in/photostream/

This aircraft is pulled through the air by a Limbach engine. The Grob was one of the sweetest aeroplanes that I have flown. A two seater with a fantastic range and the ability to switch off the engine, feather the prop and stooge around at 60Kts looking for thermals. Starting from 4500ft, I once flew 20 miles in this aircraft without the engine, landing back at my home airfield without power. Please note, this was not an emergency, this was intentional and motor gliders are designed to do this. I was back over my home airfield with 1500ft to spare and I had to use the airbrakes to make sure I did not overshoot. Once I had landed, I started the engine to taxi back to the apron.

The above engine is not the same as fitted to the 109. However, Limbach engines are very well respected and the additional advantage is a possible weight saving of 54 lbs over the Lycoming IO320. I have contacted Limbach to obtain more information on this engine and I will be looking at and investigating the possibilities of using this engine in my RV-3. I will be asking questions about the electronic fuel injection, the ignition system, the turbo charger and of course the cost of this donkey. Watch my blog for more updates.

Cheers

Tony

Two concerns, Tony

....A) That it's direction of rotation is "anti-clockwise"...dunno how available props are for that.

B) Water cooled...meaning some way/place to mount radiators.

Regards,

....A) That it's direction of rotation is "anti-clockwise"...dunno how available props are for that.

B) Water cooled...meaning some way/place to mount radiators.

Regards,

A) MT Propellers offer a suitable prop but I do need to check if there is an oil feed for an hydraulic VP prop.

B) Liquid cooled as is the Rotax, therefore no shock cooling issues. Mounting the radiators should not be a show stopper as the engine is smaller than the Lycoming IO 320 but with the same HP.

I believe Jim Ayres has/had a Limbach engine in his RV3. He frequents this site, believe his a/c is listed in the RV3 directory.
Cheers

I believe Jim Ayres has/had a Limbach engine in his RV3. He frequents this site, believe his a/c is listed in the RV3 directory.
Cheers

I have a LOM M332A engine in my RV-3 providing power to an electric constant speed MT Propeller. The propeller turns to the left.

I've been fairly successful in getting custom designed propellers from MT Propeller. Either hydraulic or electric constant speed propellers.

Regards,
Jim Ayers
Less Drag Products, Inc. - MT Propeller distributor in California
FAA Propeller Repair Station License # LDSR535X
Custom Airctraft Propeller - MT Propeller sales office in Florida

I have a LOM M332A engine in my RV-3 providing power to an electric constant speed MT Propeller. The propeller turns to the left.

I've been fairly successful in getting custom designed propellers from MT Propeller. Either hydraulic or electric constant speed propellers.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Hi Jim, I have seen a picture of N47RV. The nose looks very different with the inverted 4 LOM engine. Certainly not ugly. Very much like a Zlin.
How do you get on with the electric prop and any aerobatics?

http://www.aviator.cc/ayers_water_lom_RV3_aircraft_engine.html

I want to try and retain the original looks of the RV-3 complete with cheek cowls which is why I want a boxer and not an inverted engine.

Hopefully I have an advantage by living in Germany where both Limbach and MT are based.

Hi Anthony...

How do you get on with the electric prop and any aerobatics?
I recently flew, as a test/acceptance flight, an RV-8 with an MT "electric" prop. Van's quote these props as "unsuitable " for aerobatics due the slow rate of pitch change.

We did some test profiles, and it did not take much of a wingover to outrun the prob's ability to coarsen the blades i.e. with 2400RPM set, just ~20nd and the RPM got near the 2700 limit. You could fly a tight (second half) Barrel Roll with no issue, but not a lot else.

Other than that, a neat control mechanism :)

Andy (Hill)

Back