What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS vs Spot

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I use APRS in my RV, but I also have one of those Spot devices (for my other aviation hobby). Today while doing my usual Sat morning goofing around I brought the spot along, you can clearly see that the 10 min interval for Spot beacons and the likelyhood of those beacons getting dropped ain't so great for tracking on a short flight:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Ujq3FHf6qKtqyf9j5qnne1lXjp3Tajbt

http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=KI6GII-1&last=1

I'll be flying the RV to/from Canada later this month, and I'll repeat this test on a longer flight.

I normally use Spot for XC unpowered paragliding. We frequently use the OK button to communicate GPS coordinates for pickup with great success. Spot is also a perfect emergency beacon for that sort of heavily weight limited activity (EPRBs are pretty bulky by comparison)

I agree that for short flight, APRS will certainly have more detail. We use our Spot for those 150 to 350 mile each way flights, and it "always" does a good job. I'm just not a ham radio type, I suppose; and don't care for a device that's harder than pushing the Spot's two buttons. :)

I emphasized "always"; because once we figured out how to keep the Spot's "I'm OK" button down for 10 seconds after the on button..........to initiate tracking, it's never failed.

edit: P.S. --- as proved by a member of this forum, the Spot's 911 "rescue" feature does work!

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Cool! I don't suppose you remember the name of the post? I'd love to read it.

You'll have to search. But in a nut shell.....

He didn't think it would work as advertised. Or perhaps too much of a money making scheme. He posted to his account information ahead of time, that it would be a test. Then, under a tree (along with his truck) in the desert somewhere; he hit the 911 button. Within minutes, his cell phone, along with others listed on his account, were called by the SPOT rescue system. At that point, he was convinced that it's very worth while, and worth every penny! :)

We use our SPOT in place of a flight plan. For years, I change course on a whim because of all the great scenery we have around here. I no longer enjoy being somewhat limited by a flight plan. On any long trip, our kids are aware, and will check progress on the computer (same as APRS). The advantage of the SPOT is the instant 911 button...........as long as you can click it first..

Back