What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Desert Center airport, L64

G-force

Well Known Member
Just off the 10 freeway between Palm Springs and Blythe. They are building a race track on the property, I am wondering if anyone plans to be flying in the area and if so, could you get some recon photos. The Google Earth shots of the area are very old and don't even depict the one runway that was repaved years ago. Alot of track and moto enthusist are curious about this track, but not alot of info is available yet. Thanks.

Mike

bing.com/maps (aerial view) shows the one paved runway. I made a forced landing there four years ago, and the runway, while cracked and a little weedy, was more than adequate. It would be a good place for a track (no neighbors to complain about the noise), but I hope they leave the runway usable; or, even better, improve it.

Last edited:
I'm flying to Kingman (AZ) for the night on Friday so I'll try to get over there and check it out :D Rosie

I'm flying to Kingman (AZ) for the night on Friday so I'll try to get over there and check it out :D Rosie

Hey I'm from Kingman! :D Have the Pazmany based there with dad. You there for business, pleasure or just a stop on the way to somewhere else?

[From Rosie: I'm visiting a childhood friend, arriving around 1600 on Friday an departing around 1600 on Saturday :D ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Desrt Center Chuckwalla raceway

I have driven on the runway in the past month...forgot date. It is usable. The airport was purchased along with the surrounding land and is now private property. The owner envisions people flying in as spectators to the races. Currently some racers are flying in to attend the races. His plans include extensions of the current track and more buildings to become a complete facility. The smoked BBQ lunches are just heavenly. If you are interested in flying into the track just call and make arrangements.

(760) 227-3100

http://chuckwallavalleyraceway.com/

Rick

Mike S thank you. I am just starting to dream of building my RV 7.

Craigvince, Palms Springs is approximately 80 miles west of Desert Center. So it should be a good flight for you. Just a note, if you plan on exploring, the best landmark to keep you out of the restricted area to the south of interstate 10 is the railroad.

Rick
who is beginning to dream of a RV 7

Latest update. I spoke with Matt Jackson who is one of the main investors. He was preparing for his first flight in a T-28 Trojan. They love it when you fly in. So check their schedule and have a grand day watching the races.

Rick

One last bit of info. Please check the airport directory for instructions if you plan on flying to Desert Center. It is a private airport and you need prior permission to land. This helps the staff to plan to meet your needs. They are looking forward to giving you the most enjoyable experience possible.

Rick

We go down near there, Burmuda Dunes, 3 times a year to visit our son.

Great info. This will go in our, Places to fly.

Thanks.

Back