What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston area airports?

Kanfly

My adult son is getting some testing done at MDAnderson and I have never flown to the Houston area. Any comments and ideas would be apreciated. I have an RV6A and would be flying VFR. Thanks

The absolute closest airport to MD Anderson/Texas Med Center would be Houston Hobby airport (HOU)... the down side to this is that it's a pretty busy airport. It's in Class B airspace with a good bit of airline and corporate traffic; not really a big deal if you're comfortable yakkin' on the radio. If you'd prefer to avoid all that hubbub and the high FBO prices, the next closest would a toss-up between Sugar Land (SGR), Houston Southwest (AXH) or West Houston (IWS).

West Houston is uncontrolled, easy in and out, has quite a bit of flight school traffic, FBO parking on the W side of the field. Highway access to the Med Center might be a bear, I-10 to the 610 Loop to 59 N... ugh.

Sugar Land is controlled but pretty quiet and laid back, also easy in/out. Big runway with a brand new terminal and FBO facility. Highway access to the Med Center would be fairly easy; Hwy 59N.

Houston Southwest is a decent little airport, but I don't get in there much due to the coarse runway pavement. It just seems a bit harsh on my tailwheel... noisy! Watch for the antenna farm a few miles N of the field; they top out at 2100' msl. A north arrival here could be a bit of a handful on a hazy day while staying below Class B and threading the needle through the SGR class D airspace and dodging those antennas. It's not a big deal, just keep your eyes open.

Hope this helps...

Sorry to hear that your son has need to go to MDA, but I have no doubt that is one of the best places to be for diagnosis and treatment. I spent much of last summer in their care and was very pleased.

Hobby (HOU) is the closest. All of the FBOs there will charge you a ramp fee, typically $20. Not sure about hangar space. It's busy, but approach will fit you in. Hotels near HOU aren't exactly wonderful, but some are Ok (the Hampton on Airport is my usual, very close).

Ellington (EFD) is also on the SE side of Houston. It's about a 30-40 minute drive to MDA from there. There are two FBOs there; either should waive tie-down fees with fuel purchase, and hangars and rental cars are available.

Sugarland is a possibility, but I can't vouch for anything there.

If you're going for the day or quick in and out, HOU would be fine; for a longer stay, I'd suggest EFD.

Let me know if you need anything while you're at MDA.

TODR

Sugar Land would be your best bet. Towered airport with 7,000 + wide runway, new terminal, new ramps, new aircraft parking areas, new hangars, no parking fee with fuel purchase, rental cars (no Houston taxes), low aircraft traffic, mostly expressway drive to med center (2) different driving routes 59 or South Main (90). I live 3 miles from the airport. I fly my experimental out of it. SGR
Ivan

SGR or AXH

I live in Sugar Land and commute to the Medical Center regularly. I base my Cardinal at AXH but either airport can provide you with rental cars and hanger space. SGR is clearly the larger and more modern but either is easy to get in and out of. There are direct routes to the medical center from both.

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I am finishing up my RV10. Thought I would have it ready for OSH. If someone has a RV10 finished or close to finished in the Houston area I may have some down time and would love to see your plane.

Back