What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes Fastback

AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Has anyone got any experience of this? http://www.showplanes.com/index_1024.htm
I know it sounds like a weak excuse for the extra expense, but here it is: the only other RV-8 I've seen in here in New Zealand has the ELT antenna stuck at an angle sideways on the right-hand top emp intersection fairing since the canopy slides back so far it can't go on top of the fuse. Looks really odd. I think there was a 'legal' reason why it had to be where it was (since it couldn't go on top).
Having a sideways hinged canopy would allow the antenna to go on top where it is supposed to go. Plus I kind a like the new look. I'm a good long way from ordering a fuse kit (heck, the wings haven't even arrived yet), but decisions I make now help me plan and budget...
Cheers

antenna, speed, visibility, canopy and looks

Really the antenna issue is a non-starter. It could be beneficial on the ground, having a top antenna, but the lower antenna, despite possible blanketing by the landing gear is not a issue.

The other thing is with a fast back you will no doubt pick up some speed. This has been shown in the book "Speed with economy" and the fastest RV, Dave Anders +250 mph RV-4. (Although his recorded winning records where with the typical bubble, he converted to fast-back later.)

Visability? You will gain by not having the roll bar bow, and you will loose a some to the rear. I remember long ago flying Cessna's with rear windows and than flying older fast-back's with out a rear window. I kind of missed that rear-180-degree view, but it's a minor issue. (Remember the C-152's with a rear view mirror, so you could see the runway on take-off to assure you where on the extended center line.)

The throw over is fine. I have 1000 hours in a RV-4. No doubt the slider is cool looking on the ground, but this gets into almost all the points of the RV-6/7/9 tip-up vs. slider. However I can tell you a tip-over can get lots of air with an intermediate position. Unlike the side-by-side RV's, with a RV-8 tip-over you get a blast of air right in the front of the canopy and in the face.

Looks, your choice.

G

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It just occurred to me that taxying with the slider still means you have that small piece of canopy up front preventing the 'blast in your face'. I need to dig out the relevant rules for the ELT: I'm sure the other builder told me that it couldn't go anywhere else because of the rules. Although it would work fine on the underside I simply might not be allowed to put it there. I'll check that one out. Thanks for all the other comments though. I wonder if the potential speed increase might bring you too close to Vne on some occasions...?
EDIT: Hmmm, just checked CAA Rules Part 91 in respect of the ELT and whilst it doesn't say I can't place the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft specifically, it doesn't leave a huge amount of scope.
It says:-
(3) have its antenna mounted--
(i) to provide vertical polarisation with the aircraft in normal flight; and
(ii) for an external antenna, no closer than 0.6m from any other VHF aerial unless specified by the manufacturer; and
(iii) for an internal antenna, exposed to a window at least 0.3m square and insulated from metal parts.

I've emailed the 'local' [2 hours away] owner so I'll see what he says...

Last edited:
Back