What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP! DW HOOKS Airport Houston RV-6A

Will Bentley

Seems I'm stranded. I landed at Hooks and my nose gear tire
had gone down. I'm having trouble locating a tube. If anyone
has a tube and Tire or just tube I would love to buy it from you
then replace it with a new one when I get back home in NW
Arkansas. I am visiting in NW Houston...Willowbrook area.

Cell 254 718 3924

thanks in advance,
Will Bentley

This happened to me once and just had the tube repaired at local tire store then replaced with new when I got home...

Jerry

I may have one

Will,

I'm based at Hooks, I'm sure I have a spare tube at my hanger, I can be there about 6pm if you still want one, got to fight the Houston traffic!!
Hanger G3, "T" hangers on NW side.

281 435 4351

Thanks All!!

I have been out trying to get a fix on the situation. In the interim I seemed
to have left my laptop. Bottom line: I want to thank you that responded.
Your kindness is very much appreciated. I just spoke with "Jim" and he
told me that should I still be in a pinch tomorrow, that I can calll him and
meet him to use his tube. Nice to have friends everywhere in the RV family.

Thanks again...
Will Bentley

Suggestion

I carry a spare main and nose wheel tire and tube with me. It has helped another RV guy away from home and may help me some day.

You could try reinflating the tire.

The valve in my left main allowed the tire to go flat sitting in the hangar recently, a day or so after topping it off and checking the pressure. The leak can come from the valve (as it did in my case) through two locations in addition to through a hole in the tube itself. If the tire is not punctured there is a chance that the tube itself is OK. As far as the valve is concerned, one leak path is through the center fill port and the other is the outer seal where the valve seats against the stem wall. If the center port cap did not seal properly it is probably due to foreign material in the seal zone and simply reinflating the tire would clear it and the act of opening the port for inflation or pressure testing would allow the cap to reseat over the inner end of the fill port. If you filled your tires before starting your trip this failure mode is a good possibility - imperfect seal, slow deflation. As someone wisely advised me the "spit test" on the end of the valve stem after inflation or pressure testing is a good idea. If it is the outer seal the material may be cut from the installation - screwing it out cleaning it up and reinstalling it could clear that problem. If you have a new tube this could be your problem - otherwise it is unlikely. Lastly, if you have a tube puncture - well I would take it out and patch it just to get home.

Bob Axsom

Hey Bob...

Thanks for the info, Bob..
While the A&P's were bickering over who was going to make the most
on the guy with the low tire...I ended up going to Wal-mart and getting
a can of fix a flat. It worked well and I just got home.

I'll check to see what caused it to go down tomorrow. Then I'll put on a
new tube that I have waiting in the hangar. I know it wasn't the valve
stem (spit test). All your suggestions are valid. Anyway, since the tire
and tube have about 85 hours on them...I suspect a tiny hole in the tube.
I always thought the fix a flat would be a poor idea. I now think it's a
good idea for getting back to home base (temporary only).

Thanks again, all.

Bill

Back